In this Guide to the Gigapan, we hope to teach you, from the ground up, how to use Gigapan in your classroom or organization as a powerful and versatile educational tool.
Complete Gigapan Kit includes:
Introduction to Gigapan Equipment
Download Images to Computer and Stitch
1. Planning process: students can work in small groups to plan where and when to take a photograph. They can first create a schematic plan on paper, and submit it for review before venturing out to take the shot.
2. Some of the best learning happens when students are “just messing around” with technology. Allow time for them to figure some of this out for themselves. Then ask them to explain it to others.
1. Time Lapse: Shoot the same Gigapan multiple times, and stitch with the Time Machine Creator http://timemachine.Gigapan.org/wiki/Main_Page This will create an explorable video where you can move back and forth in time. To see an extraordinary version of this, go to Timelapse.
2. Idea Mural: A middle school teacher put a large sheet of butcher paper on the classroom wall and instructed his class to make an idea map around a curricular topic. He then took a Gigapan of the paper, loaded it, and had students interact with it online: each student selected the idea of another person, and instigated a dialogue with them using the snapshots. This could be done internationally.
3. Scavenger Hunts: “Where’s Waldo?” activities where students must look deeply. See the Fossil Hunt for ideas.
4. Hallway Projects: Print and display large images for the public to view. People can use sticky notes to comments, or create a “response space”. Very powerful.
5. Citizen Science: Post images to public forums and ask for comment and dialogue. Ex: students in Hawaii posted image and asked people to count the number of plant species they could identify. Actual number can be estimated by eliminating outlier counts. The more responses, the more accurate the count.
6. Sensitization Technique: Begin by showing an 8x10 print of the photo, and ask students to comment on details. Then show them the Gigapan and see them engage even more!
7. Documentation: History must be documented, in written form as well as visually.
Each Time Machine captures a process in extreme detail over space and time, with billions of pixels of explorable resolution. Travel back in time to witness the creation of the universe. See more Gigapan Time Machines.
For qualified applicants, Gigapan offers the opportunity to purchase a Gigapan EPIC or EPIC 100 with a discount of 20% off the listed price. To apply for a Gigapan education and research incentive, please contact us.