1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » Image Management

Image Management
David Zakary David Zakary
Total Posts: 18

Wonder what people are doing for image management for their GigaPans?

Is it worth using LightRoom or Aperture for storing everything or some other program?

As I’m just starting out, its been a folder/sub-folder setup for each pano I’ve shot. That won’t last much longer.

Lightroom will do batch corrections pretty quickly. Good for exposure adjustments. Not sure if Aperture does that.

David Pivin David Pivin
Total Posts: 40

I use iPhoto Batch Enhancer to apply the same adjustments to hundreds of pan photos. http://www.feroxsoft.com/ibe/index.php.en
Free trial available there. I used it to do my 1176 image Goosenecks pan: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/49832

I manage all my pan photos in iPhoto as albums and just drag and drop an album’s content into Stitcher after editing. I also do complex repairs in PS through iPhoto and combine that with iPhoto adjustments. The darkness tool is quite useful to help with dynamic range.

No need to make extra copies or export to folders. Originals are preserved as the scripts just open the normal edit tool. You can always revert to original if you don’t like the end result after the stitch.

Aperture doesn’t do batch on adjustments, only metadata changes. You must manually paste adjustments on selected photos. Not convenient on a thousand photos. I did not find a similar batch scripting plug-in for it.

Dave

I check out the Batch Enhancer. Thanks.

Chris Fastie Chris Fastie
Total Posts: 13

My gigapan workflow on a PC:

Transfer photos from SD card to hard drive using Adobe Lightroom. In this process: 1) files are renamed to something meaningful, 2) files for each gigapan are saved to a separate folder, and 3) metadata is added to the Lightroom database (this includes all the EXIF data in each image file plus any keywords and IPTC fields I added during the import).

In Lightroom, the metadata for each photo (which now resides in the Lightroom database but is not all present in the image files) is saved to each image file. Because I always shoot camera RAW (NEF), this step produces an XMP sidecar file for each photo.

If I have GPS coordinates for each photo, I use RoboGeo to write the data to each image file. It is added to the sidecar files. Lightroom is then instructed to update its database with the new GPS data in the image files (sidecars).

If individual photos or groups of photos require brightness, contrast, or color adjustments, these are made in Lightroom. I rarely stitch a gigapan without first making these adjustments to compensate for light variations during shooting, dull color produced by old lenses, and vignetting. Lightroom allows any group of photos to be selected and adjusted in any way (e.g., white balance, saturation, vignette correction, cropping). Shooting in RAW allows great latitude when making adjustments (e.g., about 1.5 stops of exposure) without greatly sacrificing image quality. Lightroom does not change the image files at this stage; it only displays the corrected image and saves the instructions in the database.

Using Lightroom, full resolution jpegs (100% quality) of the photos are exported to a separate folder. The jpegs reflect any image adjustments made in Lightroom.

Gigapan stitch is used to stitch a gigapan from the jpegs.

There are a couple of wrinkles specific to my process. With my Nikon D40, I often use old lenses with no electronic connection to the camera, so the EXIF data saved by the camera are incomplete. Gigapan Stitch gets confused by this and the Stitch notes of a finished panorama often lack even the data that were present in the EXIF headers. Also, if the jpegs produced by the above process have GPS coordinates, they crash Stitch. Fortunately, Lightroom has an option to “Minimize embedded metadata” when exporting the jpegs, and these jpegs do not crash Stitch. Gigapan Stitch does not use location data to georeference the stitched panorama, so removing the GPS data at this stage has little consequence (the GPS data still exist in the Lightroom database and in the XMP files).

Uri Fans Uri Fans
Total Posts: 21

I’m curious why you don’t use TIFF export instead, to retain more detail?

Forums» General Gigapanning » Image Management