1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » On-screen measurement tool

On-screen measurement tool
Brian Bodenbender Brian Bodenbend...
Total Posts: 2

Is there an on-screen measurement tool that one can use when viewing gigapans? I’m looking for something like being able to zoom in to view a vertical tide gauge on a dock, click 2 points on the gauge that are, say, 10 cm apart, and enter that distance, then click on the water level and the top of the gauge, and the tool uses the known distance its just been given to compute the total length of the gauge showing in the image. I know programs like ImageJ can do this with digital photos, but the point of using the GigaPan is not to have to handle a bunch of photos individually. Any suggestions on how to make this kind of measurement off the GigaPan interface will be most welcome.

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 54

That would be an awesome feature. Maybe someday we’ll get a gigapan API and someone can add that.

Hey gigapan, any thoughts on an API?

The feature I want is to be able to take the gigapan pixels and lay them flat in google earth to make a new layer, like side-view satellite.

Ronnie Miranda Ronnie Miranda
Total Posts: 24

Yes, there is an on-screen measurement tool available for free that you can use when viewing GigaPans. Use the GIGAmacro Comparative Viewer http://gigamacro.com/gigamacro-gigapixel-compar…

Simply enter the GigaPan ID of your image and the image width (in mm).

Estefan Garcia Estefan Garcia

I have the same question. Are there any programs or tools available to do measurements on gigapixel photos that are human scale? And what is the GigaPan ID?

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 54

Hi Ronnie,

Can you clarify what you mean by the image width in mm?

Tim

Ronnie Miranda Ronnie Miranda
Total Posts: 24

Hi Tim,

According to the website it is “the width of the physical subject area that is displayed in the photo.”

For more info, please contact Gene Copper who developed GIGAmacro. http://www.gigapan.com/profiles/fourchambers

Brian Bodenbender Brian Bodenbend...

To report back on my original question, the tool I found was a free one called MB-Ruler. I am measuring objects in my panorama that have a known distance marked on each one. I zoom in to the object at an arbitrary magnification, then measure the length of the object in pixels, enter that into an Excel spreadsheet, then without changing the zoom I measure the known distance on the object, enter that, and calculate the total length given the known length. It is not automated, but MB-Ruler does put the measurement in a little window that will hover over the Excel spreadsheet so that I can check my values as I type them in. My scenes are landscapes, with objects at many different depths, so the scale is not constant across the entire image as required for the GIGAmacro tool to work properly.

Forums» General Gigapanning » On-screen measurement tool