1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » Adjust mounting tray

Adjust mounting tray
alexandre castro alexandre castr...
Total Posts: 7

Can they be kind enough to inform me, because you can not find information on which the value Adjust mounting tray / operating arm / Find this black number on the scale arm (in the GigaPan Epic) for my FujiFilm x10 machine.

Charles Davis Charles Davis
Total Posts: 15

I’m not sure who “they” is? Regardless, it’s not possible to tell you the answer to your question. Read the manual.

No, it isn’t easy to understand [especially if English is not your primary language], but it does work.

However, I think it’s easier to do from first principles. However, that requires that the user to understand some technical stuff…

1. The goal is to get the Entrance Pupil located on both rotational axes.
  2. You must measure where the Entrance Pupil is located [it varies as the FL varies].
  3. Move everything until that Entrance Pupil is in the center or motion.

Here is a simple way to locate the Entrance Pupil:

http://www.1derful.info/Tools/PanoHead/LensNode…

Good luck…

alexandre castro alexandre castr...
Total Posts: 7

thankĀ“s charles davis

Uri Fans Uri Fans
Total Posts: 21

That’s an interesting way to find the point. Not quite sure how you translate that to a physical Epic robot, but it’s still interesting.

With a given lens at a specific FL, simply measure how far the Entrance Pupil is behind the front of the lens…then adjust to get that location on the robot.

Uri Fans Uri Fans

All of these techniques seem to focus (pun intended) on the horizontal placement of the camera. What about the vertical?

The vertical axis [on the side of the unit…the one that points the camera up-dn] is moderately obvious? I just move the camera up and down until the CL of the lens is coaxial w/ the vertical axis. If you are OCD about it, then get some appropriate device [for your level of OCD] and measure the distance from the lens CL to the bottom mounting surface of the camera. Then [w/o the camera mounted, position the plate and measure the distance from the top surface to the vertical axis [there is a screw there].

Uri Fans Uri Fans

Thanks for the reply Charles. I’m certainly not OCD about the vertical. I just recall hearing Illah say in one of his videos that it has to be adjusted and wondered if there’s a technique or techniques similar to those for horizontal. if it’s as simple as eyeballing the center line of the lens then I’m good with that.

As you reduce the distance between the camera and the subject(s), the location of the entrance pupil becomes more critical. Both axes are equally important.

If you are taking pix of typical landscapes [w/ nothing close, like tree branches or foliage] the camera location can be almost anywhere.

Forums» General Gigapanning » Adjust mounting tray