1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » Auto focus not working with Gigapan pro auto trigger

Auto focus not working with Gigapan pro auto trigger
Socialeventshots Socialeventshot...
Total Posts: 5

Hey there guys,

Wondering if anyone has come up against a similar problem to what I’m having at the minute.

When I set both camera and lens to Auto and take a shot manually (i.e. physically pressing down the camera button) it takes a shot no problem. But when I try and take a panorama using gigapan’s auto trigger, if fails to take the shot, despite the fact the shot is focused.

Anyone any ideas on how to fix this?

I’m a totally beginner with gigapan, so I could be overlooking something very simple! Any advice great appreciated!

Thanks,
Charlie

Socialeventshots Socialeventshot...
Total Posts: 5

Hello there,

This is something we figured out and wanted to share in case any other newbies were having the same problem.

After reading through the gigapan manual, we realized that shutter time (in the expert options section) needed to be longer than time per pic. Once we made this adjustment auto focus started to work fine.

Thanks,
Charlie

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 54

Another tip for shooting with auto-focus…
If you are shooting a scene that has a lot of depth variation (like this: http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/101140), set the shot order to be ROWS rather then the default COLUMNS. Then you can shoot the top rows that are all sky on manual focus but when you get to the parts of the scene that are close, you can switch to Auto-focus and pay closer attention to making sure that you don’t drop any images due to focus issues. Also note that sometime changing the focal point setting on the camera to either Centered or Average may help depending on the scene. Keep in mind though that finding missing images in a large pano shot using ROWS can be a lot harder and very time consuming so it is worth the effort to listen closely and make sure the camera doesn’t miss any shots.

Forums» General Gigapanning » Auto focus not working with Gigapan pro auto trigger