1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » What are you using to capture your gigapan images, Raw, Tiff, Jpegs ?

What are you using to capture your gigapan images, Raw, Tiff, Jpegs ?
Pol F. Gillard Pol F. Gillard
Total Posts: 10

New to this Gigapan Epic Pro head, my target whas double: 1) have the most accurate definition (IQ) and 2)the comfort of having a full matrix of the scene calculated by the Gigapan head itself.
I first tried shooting the scenes in raw format (Nikon Nef), and it worked fine to create a limited matrix of approximately 4-5 rows and 8-9 columns at 50mm focal.
I recently experimented shooting a matrix of +/- 140 images at 70mm focal, with hdr setting on 3 images, Nef raw format (Nikon D800E). This makes in total 420 images.
I used a formatted 128GB “SDXC I” memory card (class 10 – 45MB/s) in order to avoid any interruption of the captures.
Unfortunately, though I programmed 1/2sec delay before each step of operations “moving to next position, mirror up, shutter, a.s.o. 3 times (hdr) before again moving to next position”, the camera misses several shots because still busy to empty its buffer content to the card. In the meantime the Gigapan goes on without taking into account that the camera hasn’t taken the previous shot yet… !
Trying a 64GB CF card (90MB/s) produces the same issue.
Does this mean I should definetly forget shooting raw with my Gigapan Epic Pro ?
What are your thoughts about all this, what type of file do you capture with your camera (Nikon or any brand) ?
Thanks in advanced for your comments and appreciated help.
Pol

Terry Foss Terry Foss
Total Posts: 16

Why not increase the delay before shots until the buffer has time to process?

Pol F. Gillard Pol F. Gillard
Total Posts: 10

Hi Terry, thank you !
This is indeed a way to avoid “lost captures”, I was busy to experiment this but I didn’t finished yet, it takes time before I find “the” proper delay to ensure all shots are stored properly…
A negative point will be the motions of clouds between the shots if it takes too long for a whole pano. Nothing is perfect but this tool is really fantastic thanks to its settings abilities and precision in action !
Pol

Spocky Spocky
Total Posts: 1

Other option is faster CF card (I have a Lexar 1000x card with triple the write speed). Obviously expense here is an issue.

Cheers Spocky

Jimmy Smith Jimmy Smith
Total Posts: 5

Usually, TIFF and JPEG image formats are used. The TIFF format is widely supported by image-manipulation applications, by publishing and page layout applications, and by scanning, faxing, word processing, optical character recognition and other applications. The JPEG standard specifies the codec, which defines how an image is compressed into a stream of bytes and decompressed back into an image, but not the file format used to contain that stream.

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 141

An under-publicized feature of the Epic Pro allows you to add a flash sync cable (<$3 on ebay) to provide feedback to the imager. If it doesn’t detect a “flash” from the sync cable it will try again up to 10 times. Bingo – no more missed frames.

From the manual:

SHUTTER FEEDBACK – Used to automatically detect a missed photograph at each position and retry again up to ten times. You must set the camera to focus priority, set ‘Expert Options’-
>’Shutter Retries’ and connect a sync cable between the camera and the EPIC Pro. The sync cable has a PC connector at one end and a mini plug at the other end. You connect the PC connector
to the camera and the mini plug to the EPIC Pro remote trigger cable port. If your camera does not include a PC connector, you can purchase a hot shoe adapter that has a PC connector.

Forums» General Gigapanning » What are you using to capture your gigapan images, Raw, Tiff, Jpegs ?