1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » General Gigapanning » How many images?

How many images?
Michael  Firstlight Michael Firstl...
Total Posts: 4

OK, so if I want to generate a single image from a composite of multiple images, how many 36MP (D800) frames would I need to print 240ppi at 10 foot by 30 foot final print size? Also, if I understand correctly, a gigapixel equals 1000 megapixels, so I calculate it would take roughly 37 36MP images to generate a 1GP image, correct?

Regards,
Mike

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Hi Mike,

Having shot some panos with the D800, I was very impressed with it indeed.

To stitch images properly, one needs about 30% overlap, so for a 1 gigapixel image, you will need significantly more than just 36 frames. Probably about twice as many as you need multiple rows and columns, all with overlap.

To print 10 feet tall at 240 dpi would be quite the printer, how far away will your viewers be, maybe such high resolution is overkill unless your viewers will have some opportunity to get close and examine fine image detail. Anyways, you are requesting 2880 pixels per foot, so you need an image 28,800 pixels tall and 86,400 pixels wide, about 2.3 gigapixels (width x height / 1024 / 1024 / 1024)

What type of printer will you use, and what type of surface (billboard vinyl ?)

Good luck with the project, I would be happy to shoot it for you;). See http://tiny.cc/ipan for my Gigapans

Thanks Jason,

The client is a professional graphic design firm who is farming it out, so I don’t know the printing details, but I checked on my own with one printing hose that prints on wallpaper and another that does have 10" wide printing. I was told they cold make due with 150ppi. I am afraid this is an indoor mural in a visitor center, not an outdoor billboard, so I expect the viewing distance to be tens of feet. Given that, I think I can get very good print quality if I can aim for at least 180ppi. I’l be shooting a 70-200mm 2.8 Nikkor VR1 at 100 and then 200mm respectively – likely around f8 and VR off for optional sharpness – so that alone will generate more images (it will fall pano lake scenes and a dam scene as well) – will have sky and water invloved so I expect I will be using manual focus. So whe I set the upper left and lower right points it will tell me how many frames based on that zoom level, but forgot how to compute how many frames I should go for overall to get 180ppi at 10×30 feet. I’ll be taking a crack at this afternoon :-) I was actually thinking of upping the overlap to 35% and I am thinking about 72-125 frames overall at 36MPs each (I have a very powerful workstation with tons or RAM and storage – it should work).

Regards,
Mike

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Hi Mike,

To print 10x 30 feet at 180 dpi and shoot with D800 in landscape format with 35% overlap will require shooting 8 rows by 16 columns. The lenses are sharpest a couple stops from wide open (f4), don’t go beyond f10 or diffraction with be an issue.

Having water in your shot will complicate matters on a fine-art level as the ripples do not stitch well and the wind will change the surface appearance significantly between each column. As water has vey little fine detail interest, you might consider also shooting the scene with a wider lens setting for one row tall, stitching this row, upsizing it to match the high rez file, and blending it in as a layer to the high Rez version to have no weird artifacts. See perfect resize by onone software http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-r…. You could import the image as a layer in photoshop, position it well, and blend the water in from the single row image ( which you could probably shoot fast enough to not get the changing water texture). Here is a tutorial on post processing with the layers http://www.ptgui.com/examples/postprocessing/1….

Good luck, share when completed!

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for the pointers. I do have Perfect Resize 7 Pro – one a single image it didn’t do too much better than CS6, but somewhat. I think with a single row and perfect resize I might get some very usable results. I’ll shoot, stitch both ways. I didn’t consider the water issue for stitching problems- good point!

Thanks!

Mike

Forums» General Gigapanning » How many images?