1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » Zoom Limit

Zoom Limit
Gregory Young Gregory Young
Total Posts: 20

I’m a newbie but I haven’t found my question in any of the forums. Is there a way to limit the amount of zooming in on a gigapan? I’ve noticed on all but one of my gigapans that the zoom feature allows zooming to 200% of actual size. This makes images that are perfectly sharp look soft. I believe the zoom limit should be 1:1 or 100% of actual pixels. This 200% reflects poorly on all gigapans IMHO. Greg

Ronnie Miranda Ronnie Miranda
Total Posts: 24

This was actually brought up in 2009 in the old GigaPan forum. http://forum.gigapan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=430

Because of the mission and whole purpose of the Gigapan project through the Global Connection Project http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~globalconn, explorability of an image (to zoom in and see more detail) was and still is more important. There was a suggestion in the old forum to put a 1:1 marker on the slider to let the user know if they are going beyond the actual pixel size.

Gregory Young Gregory Young
Total Posts: 20

The 1:1 marker is a good idea. However. I’d disagree that more enlargement shows more detail. At 1:1, everything that is in the image is visible and as sharp as possible. Greater enlargement is simply doubling and/or interpolating existing pixels. What ever became of the marker idea??

Phillip Norman Phillip Norman
Total Posts: 1

I would like an update on this issue. I don’t see any reason why any image would ever go beyond a 1:1 100% view zoom limit. There is just no more information beyond that. Can we please have a way to set the view limit to 100% 1:1…

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

I agree with the 1:1 marker and I’d also like a means of embedding gigapans in which it is not possible to go beyond 1:1.

I disagree with the idea that going beyond 1:1 doesn’t give you more ‘information’. Logically, yes, I know what you mean but in practice, when you are looking at details that are not pin-sharp for whatever reason, sometimes you are able to see more/better by going beyond 1:1. I don’t know exactly why this is true but it is a fact which is why the scientists included it. My guess is that by creating pixels that aren’t there it is easier for your brain to see what could be there. For example, suppose your scene contained an area that went from pure white on the left to pure black on the right. Suppose further that in the gigapan this area was only represented by two pixels: a pure white one next to a pure black one. Now suppose you are looking at the image at 1:1. It is likely that you won’t have any idea what the two pixels represent, but if you look at the gigapan at 3:1 (say) then the software will interpolate and show you a smooth transition from white to black so the interpolation has correctly reconstructed the original scene. Of course the problem is that the computer can’t know that interpolating the pixel data is the right thing to do. For example, the scene may have contained a pure white area and a pure black area seperated by a picture of Leonard Cohen. In this case interpolation will not reconstruct Leonard so the interpolation is wrong and useless. However, in general interpolation gets it “right enough” to warrant including it as a useful tool.

I do completely agree however that there are times when you really, really don’t want users to be able to go beyond 1:1.

Forums» Web Site and Forum » Zoom Limit