1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » Explore Score No More?

Explore Score No More?
David Pivin David Pivin
Total Posts: 40

It appears that this feature hasn’t been working recently. The last panorama posted with a non-zero score was on November 17, 2011. What’s the status?

Also, while trying to get more information about this from the forum, I noticed that one cannot search the forum. That would seem to me to be a mandatory feature as it is in most other forms that I have participated in.

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

I agree that the Explore Score needs to be fixed. I’ve got to think that new users would be very turned off that their Explore Scores are all stuck at zero. I haven’t taken the Explore Scores all that seriously for a while now, but as the only officially recognized metric on the site it’s just plain insulting to recent posters that their GigaPans end up on the bottom of every page that ranks things by Explore Score (e.g., Galleries).

I second the request for search on the forum, too.

Angelko Krstanovic Angelko Krstano...
Total Posts: 103

Explore score is currently being addressed.

Agreed on the forums search point. Forum improvements are in the pipeline.

Aloysious A Gruntpuddock Aloysious A Gru...
Total Posts: 29

Last post over 2 months ago!

Second that :)

[x] Explore scores working
[x] Forum search implemented (being tested for next release)

Matthew Piscitelli Matthew Piscite...
Total Posts: 14

While my post does not add much to the thread, but what is the current status of the Explore Score issue. My first two GigaPans received Explore Scores the next day (or two after), but I have been posting since and haven’t received any.

Matthew, will you post or message me with the gigapans at question.

Matthew Piscitelli Matthew Piscite...
Total Posts: 14

Angelko: What’s funny is that about two days ago, the rest of my pictures were evaluated. Furthermore, my latest was scored a 138 almost immediately…so thanks. However, my first two photos had explore scores above 100 and now they’re closer to 50…why the change? I guess I don’t entirely understand how the explore score is evaluated (e.g. a algorithm? based on viewing traffic?).

Yes, explore score is affected most definitely by traffic, as well as time.

Aloysious A Gruntpuddock Aloysious A Gru...
Total Posts: 29

Just checked mine – only 3 have a score – all the rest are now zero!

Is this normal?

The explore score may degrade over time if the gigapan at question is getting less traffic.

mario1089 mario1089
Total Posts: 1

I don`t understand: I have the most views of all recently uploaded gigapans (500 during 3 days), but explore score still zero! What am I getting wrong? Is it recalculated weekly? Or is 500 views just kinda “nothing”? Please clarify!

Mario, it looks as if the explore score has not yet been calculated for your gigapan. Let me take a better look…

Peter van North Peter van North
Total Posts: 8

Hi Angelko,

I’m afraid I’m having similar problems with the explore score. It seems to me that since the site was upgraded I have lost explore scores on all my gigapans. Also the new ones that I have uploaded since the site upgrade are still at zero. Another interesting observation was that Gigapan 102528 got a huge score initially but now it’s back to zero.

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

I don’t know the algorithm for calculating the Explore Score, but it seems it may have been tweaked (recently?) to increase the decay rate for GigaPans that aren’t seeing a lot of activity. Combined with the decreased traffic on the site overall and inconsistent/slow updating, this has led to a metric that is not particularly meaningful at best, and punitive and discouraging at worst.

I’ve basically ignored the Explore Score metric as being unreliable/unhelpful (and mildly game-able) for quite a while now, but it’s getting to a point where too many other things (Gallery ordering, for example) use it as a proxy for importance/significance, when it is poorly adapted to that purpose.

The proliferation of Explore Score 0 is getting to be a real problem for a site that uses this number as its primary ranking system (total views being generally the secondary ranking criterion). I’d really like to see an open discussion of how this value is calculated and/or private discussions that include the input of regular users/power users.

Peter van North Peter van North
Total Posts: 8

I agree with Ron. I checked through nearly 200 pages of “most recent” panoramas and all of them since July 23 had an explore score of zero. To my eye some of the panoramas looked very interesting and had clearly taken a lot of effort, and I suspect that some of the creators must be mildly discouraged that their scores haven’t moved off zero.

In keeping with Rons suggestion regarding an open discussion I would certainly like to see the current way the explore score is calculated, and I would also like to understand the time aspects in terms of when it is calculated.

Fritz Hanke Fritz Hanke
Total Posts: 10

Explore score ?

hophi hophi
Total Posts: 1

i’d prefer to have the es removed altogether (like 360cities) than seeing mediocre panos getting (manipulated) top 100 scores…

Glen David Short Glen David Shor...
Total Posts: 46

I second the comments above!

Explore score will most definitively get some development attention. No ETA at this point.

Glen David Short Glen David Shor...
Total Posts: 46

David Pivin wrote in the first post: “It appears that this feature hasn’t been working recently. The last panorama posted with a non-zero score was on November 17, 2011.”
Today is the 18th Nov 2012, that means the explore score has been having problems now for more than a whole year!

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

The explore score worked again for a while, but the last posted Gigapan with an explore score is this one http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/110244, posted July 24th. The 5000+ Gigapans posted since then all show up on the bottom of the heap of any search or ordering.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

I agree with Jason’s idea for a road map and with the general idea that the number of ways of viewing gigapans needs to be increased.

I strongly disagree with the idea of removing explore scores for a number of reasons. The first is that it is not the responsibility of other people to tell me how I may and may not view gigapans. The second is that the primary concept behind gigapans was, originally, that they show you unusually large amounts of detail so it seems obvious™ that there should be some measure of how much detail a gigapan contains. The explore score is intended to be such a measure. How good a measure it is is arguable but I wouldn’t like to see it removed without it being replaced by something equivalent or better. The third reason is that I want the number of ways we can view or search for gigapans to be increased not reduced.

With regard to the assertion that explore scores can be manipulated, this certainly used to be the case but it is not so true now. The reason for this is that the way explore scores is calculated was changed some time ago so that it does not include hit count. Of course there is nothing to stop someone asking all their friends to visit a gigapan and leave a few comments.

What I suspect may be the general thrust of those arguing for explore scores to be removed is that the scores are used to generate one of the two primary ways of viewing gigapans so explore scores are very significant in determining which gigapans get looked at. If there were more ways of viewing gigapans then this would not be an issue – a point I have made elsewhere.

I do agree that there is a fundamental problem with any system of ranking based on interaction by users whether it be by explore score or hit count or whatever, viz once a gigapan has got into the charts it stays there and nothing else can get in. This used to be very true of the old explore score system when Hanauma Bay was permantently number one and the top ten hardly changed at all. The response of gigapan.org (as it was then) was to change the way explore scores were calculated when what they should have done imo is to leave the explore score alone, come up with some new, additional ways of scoring and to promote those ways as much as “view by explore score”.

Forums» Web Site and Forum » Explore Score No More?