1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » google earth layer - only very old panoramas

google earth layer - only very old panoramas
Martin Hrdlicka - www.virtualczech.cz Martin Hrdlicka...
Total Posts: 1

Hi,
I asked technical support for answer why my panoramas are not listed in Google earth aplication.

I checked all my panos to be shared on Google Earth.

My friend only find very old panos in their Google Earth aplication and none of mine.
They do not know about gigapan.org and they start Google Earth aplication. There are only few very old panoramas of the other guy in the Czech Republic.

How gigapan.org update the Google earth layer?

BTW – my panoramas from 360cities.net are automatically updated in 360cities layer of Google Earth!

Please respond

Thank you
Martin

Angelko Krstanovic Angelko Krstano...
Total Posts: 103

Hello Martin,
We are working with Google to expand the number of gigapans available in the GigaPan layer. There is no definite target date as of yet.

Personally, I can hardly wait. There are so many cool new gigapans that would make Google Earth browsing even more exciting.
=angelko

djonline djonline
Total Posts: 1

Furthermore, there is no map on gigapan.com too ! Also you remove updated kml with all gigapans for Google Earth.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

The Gigapan layer in GE comprises 300 images that were hand-picked by someone. Google did not want just anyone to add their images to the layer because some of them were not very good and Google didn’t want those to be seen. And at the time, CMU couldn’t afford to pay someone to go through the images to choose the best ones.

The intention behind geocoding your image was not to get it included in the Gigapan layer, but to allow you to see your image in GE. At one time there was a link that gave you a KML file that contained all the geocoded gigapans in GE, but this was different from GE’s Gigapan Layer.

My friends and I complained about the KML with all gigapans being removed many times but they never responded (not CMU nor the old GigapanSystem management, nor the new one). I suspect that the reason it was removed (or it broke and was not reinstated) is that there are now so many geocoded gigapans (over 30,000) that if you make a KML containing them all, the file is huge and it crashes Google Earth (or at least makes it run so slowly that it is unusable).

So. I wrote my own. Try it here. http://www.kilgore.org.uk/cgi-bin/surfing/surfe…

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

Does anyone at all in Portland understand how important fixing this “bug” is to all of us users (especially those who regularly geocode our GigaPans)? Do you have any idea what goodwill you’d reap if you could make a functioning Google Earth viewer page for all geotagged GigaPans? I love what Kilgore661 has done and I use it regularly, but as nice as it is, it’s no excuse for GigaPan Systems not getting its act together and working HARD with Google to get the Google Earth GigaPan layer updated, or at the very least, a functioning KML link and/or dedicated embedded Google Earth viewer with all of the geocoded GigaPans.

Mind you, there’s a lot more geo-type functionality I’d really like to see, but this plea is aimed simply at the most basic functionality. I bet if you put your minds and coders to it you could have a functioning embedded Google Earth viewer with all geotagged GigaPans (or at least a large subset of them) up by week’s end. Give it the old college try!

To my mind this is another example of GS not thinking straight about what to do with the web site. They have an amazing back catalogue of over 85,000 images which they are doing nothing to exploit. Surely, being able to see your images in GE or surf the world of gigapans in GE is a core expectation of members (as per http://www.gigapan.com/forums/13/topics/509)? Perhaps the problem is that this facility is so under-promoted by GS that people are not aware of it so it is not seen as a core requirement?

David Engle David Engle
Total Posts: 10

In order for the current GigaPan staff to improve the UI even beyond their initial expectations, it would be useful to listen intently to those of us who have been accessing the GigaPan website for the past 5 or 6 years; those of us who still have, and continue to have the initial thrill of experiencing the GigaPan process.

All of my GigaPans except for one* were stitched using the GigaPan Stitcher … the reason being that my eye sees a more realistic view of the panorama in the Google Earth utility than those panoramas stitched with a competitive product. This effect has never been promoted by the GigaPan staff. For me, seeing the final version of any GigaPan is to see it in the Google Earth utility, and I have never seen an explanation for new users from the GigaPan Staff on how to accomplish this … hardly anyone uses this function except the users that have been here for a number of years.

• I actually have five files on GigaPan that are photo sets … never stitched, only uploaded as a GigaPan file:

Two can be seen here: http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_recent&p…

Three are here: http://gigapan.com/gigapans?query=Riceu+costume…

And the single GigaPan not stitched with the GigaPan Stitcher is this one taken with my iPhone and stitched by Kilgore661 … you have to ask him what he used: http://gigapan.com/gigapans/128872

Jenny Walsh Jenny Walsh
Total Posts: 19

Thank you for your continued support and strong advocacy for improving the presentation and promotion of Gigapan’s geolocating features, particularly with Google Earth. We are most definitely listening.

Renewed integration with Google Earth as well as full-scale improvement in our geolocation features, tools, and services is a high priority this coming year. We are addressing some core elements that will help us better meet those goals, and then, as developer resources become available, will actively target this area. Your comments, thoughts, hopes, expectations, and great examples will be integrated into our efforts.

Thank you for your assertive patience as we continue to push forward and make progress.

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

Jenny,

You had me at “assertive patience”. :-)

Ron

Me too Jenny. I would like to thank you for your supportive tolerance.

Forums» Web Site and Forum » google earth layer - only very old panoramas