1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » spherical panos

spherical panos
tve tve
Total Posts: 3

I looks like the web site does not support spherical panoramas, is that correct? Or am I missing something? Any plans to support them?

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

All Gigapanners are welcome to use the 3d-360 degree Gigapan viewer I have created for viewing Gigapans in a spherical viewer. You may embed this in your site within an iframe tag, or link to it. You only need your Gigapan image URL to make it work (http://gigapan.com/gigapans/12345/ , you use it as http://www.3d-360.com/view-remote-image-in-3d-3… ) . The viewer uses the same technology as 360cities.net, the fantastic krpano viewer. The 3d-360.com site is a merely a browser plugin enhancement, providing html code for viewing an image in a 360 degree viewer, it does not host any images. The files and image tiles all remain hosted and served from Gigapan. No image or image tile is ever hosted, stored, transmitted, or manipulated through 3d-360.com site.

Hope this helps.

Jason Buchheim

tve tve
Total Posts: 3

Jason, thanks for pointing out your service. What attracted me to gigapan are the snapshots and comments one can take on an existing pano. Your site doesn’t render those, unfortunately.

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Hello Tve,

If people were truly interested and would use it, I could easily add the snapshot and comments functionality. I was thinking about doing it anyways, linked in with Facebook so that comments and snapshotting would get some social attention. What do you think?

Jason

Angelko Krstanovic Angelko Krstano...
Total Posts: 103

We don’t support spherical panoramas at the moment.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

Tve, despite Angelko’s comment, the web site does support spherical panos in the sense that you can view any gigapan as a spherical image provided the gigapan has been geocoded – just click on the the “View in Google Earth” link. It occurs to me that you may already know this and you were asking about facilities such as those offered by Jason’s site. On the other hand, it seems to me that few people seem to know about the Google Earth option so I thought it worth mentioning.

Of course you/your clients/fans need to have Google Earth installed and it may not be appropriate to geocode an image because it does not have a geolocation per se (or you don’t want to disclose the location) which is where Jason’s site scores. Jason’s site also uses the very wonderful (imo) KRPano.

FWIW I think KRPano (or equivalent) is definitely the way to go if gigapan.com want to catch new people.

Forums» Web Site and Forum » spherical panos