1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Web Site and Forum » Printing

Printing
Tom Nelson Tom Nelson
Total Posts: 44

I got a message that printing was possible through gigapan.com and pointing me to the FAQ. It says I need to manually authorize gigapan.com to print and sell my images. It fails to say what prices apply or what commission, if any, I would receive.

I’m considering whether to allow printing and have not authorized anything. Despite this, I see that ALL my 200+ panoramas are open for printing. I want printing disabled and gigapan.com to give me and everybody else more information about sales. This is bad!

Nathan Wong Nathan Wong
Total Posts: 21

Good questions. I was wondering the same with the sale of the prints. I also noticed that all my prints had a print now next to it and I too was looking to turn it off. HOWEVER, if you look at everyone’s Gigapan you’ll notice that there aren’t any “print this Gigapan” next to it. So it looks like you’ll need to authorize it like they said. To double-check just don’t log in and look at your picture. You shouldn’t see a print feature…at least I hope. I didn’t even check.

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson
Total Posts: 44

That’s right, Nathan, and I should have thought of that. The “print now” message is if I want to order prints of my own panos.

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Now being the proud owner of a beautiful printed Gigapan that is 24 inches by 200 inches, I am pondering how to hang and display it. I do have a nice wall available that is large enough to accommodate it, but I am unsure as to the best way to actually hang it up. Any suggestions or success stories would be most appreciated.

First thought, just use some metal clips on the print, and nail the clips to the wall. http://www.bassile.com/category.php?category=me… This would prevent holes in the print and I could re-stretch it if it gets slack.
Of course, this does not provide any physical or UV protection for the print.

I was recently at Thomas Mangelson’s gallery in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and he has prints being offered in a ‘Modern Museum Mount’, http://blog.bumblejax.com/acrylicplexi-prints-p… which is an amazing looking image sandwich between two layers of acrylic plexiglass. The image is permanently adhered to a rigid sheet of clear acrylic that makes handling a large print much easier and significantly eliminates the possibility of damage, while also providing a new “wet” look that only this process can provide. Using the Museum Mount also offers deeper colors and a more three dimensional feel to the image because there is no longer an air barrier between the photograph and the acrylic protecting the print – with traditional framing, the air space between the glass and the print refracts light slightly, whereas this process does not. UV protection is included in the adhesive and the acrylic has UV absorption properties as well.

I do not have a press to sandwich the image and don’t know where to get the large sheets of double sided adhesive, but this is the most ideal as it provides physical and UV protection to the image. I found sheets of 1/4 inch acrylic, 24 inches long and 96 inches wide for $130 http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_She… or 100% UV absorbing http://www.eplastics.com/Plexiglass_Acrylic_She… and here is a video on how these mounts are made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWowpe84rXw&feat…

Seems like a good idea for Gigapan Systems to consider when they start offering our prints for sale by the photographer, but expensive…

Last idea, IKEA offers some hangers that are 24 inches wide and include a top and bottom clip, I could get multiple of these to hang the raw print http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/3007…

Any other thoughts, methods, or systems for displaying these long prints?

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

You’ve hit upon the real problem with very large prints – mounting is not only a pain but often crazy expensive. I work in the sign industry, so I have a bit of experience with this topic.

Fomecor and Sintra (a plastic) are two common backer materials that can usually be found in lengths up to 96" because the standard large sheet size for them is 4′ × 8′. A sign shop that has a roll-fed laminator (most do) and the proper double-sided film can mount a print to those backers fairly easily. Make sure that they’re used to doing this type of mounting though.

The solution that I would suggest for the 200" print that you have would be to split it into sections and use the aforementioned Fomecor or Sintra options. (Fomecor is lighter and usually cheaper.) You will have to split it into at least a triptych (3 sections)to get each panel down below 96", but depending upon the content and composition, you might decide to go for 4 or more panels.

If Gigapan is going to offer prints of up to 24" x “as long as you want” they really need to source an adhesive-backed substrate, preferably a removable wall graphics film, but that would have to be printed on a sign printer and not the photo inkjet – probably Epson – that I’m guessing they have. About the only practical use for a single print 200" wide is as a wall mural. Also, any adhesive substrate would make mounting to a backer considerably easier and cheaper as well, although a roll-fed laminator would still be the best method to actually apply it to the backer.

I have a photo of a 50″ × 192″ wall graphics film mural of one of my gigapans on my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/ImagesoftheUpstatecom

I hope that helps.

David Pivin David Pivin
Total Posts: 40

I recently created my own mounting frame for a 48″ × 134″ print of my Spider Rock GigaPan. This method would work for widths up to 17 feet, the stock length of the MDF window casing I used to form the frame. More photos, a drawing and the materials list are on my site: http://mrpiv.com/Pivin_Family_Album/GigaPan_Tip…

james nelson james nelson
Total Posts: 3

Our company has just started printing photos on wallpaper. We can print any size. It is a pigment ink technique so not toxic and suitable for indoor use. We charge GBP£18 per square meter which is about US$28 per square meter. It can be fixed to wall using regular wallpaper paste. We print in wide 36" strips so not so many joins between panels. Right now we are selling it exclusively on eBay. The item number for the listing is 261185562071 and the link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261185562071 or just search for “your photo on wallpaper” We ship worldwide and if you mention gigapan.org I can give you 10% off.

As a note, we trialed adhesive backed papers and decided that it was not a good product choice. It doesnt stay up long and tends to contract slightly over a period of a few weeks and small but noticeably gaps start to appear between panels. If you are going to do it then you might as well do it properly.

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

I must respectfully disagree. I have seen the wall film that I refer to (possibly not available in the UK, and printed with latex inks) stay in place for over 2 years without any shrinkage, sag, or other distortion. Also, the proper installation method for that product if it must be applied in sections is to overlap it 1 – 2 inches, not butt panels up to each other. When done properly it is practically invisible.

I’m not trying to cast aspersion, though. Some printable wallpapers, when properly printed and applied are a perfectly viable alternative for photo murals.

james nelson james nelson
Total Posts: 3

Hi Moseley, Possibly true. I should clarify that the self adhesive samples we tested were PVC if I remember correctly. If the film you used stayed put for overt two years then I am thinking it must be a permanent adhesive. I think adhesives vary. We also overlap slightly to obtain a perfect fit. Butting causes too many printer issues.

There are many ways to skin a cat and almost as many ways to hang wallpaper. We also find it much easier to hang paper with paste because it allows some initial movement to get a perfect alignment.

PPS I got the price wrong on our wallpaper. It is not GBP18. It is only GBP12.50 per square meter which is about US$18.90. Sorry for mistake.

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Hi James,

This wallpaper sounds fantastic! Wow!!!

Jason

bkaylor bkaylor
Total Posts: 29

I think the best answer is to prepare a frame FIRST, and then crop or cut your gigapan to fit. I have 3 rolled up prints in my closet that I didn’t think through.

-Acrylics and polycarbonate sheets max out at 4×8 feet.
-24" tall prints will sag even when sandwiched, they have to be attached to a stiff backing.

It might seem like sacrilege, but consider cutting your gigapan into 24×36″ lengths and putting each segment in a standard poster frame. You can get poster frames for $20 and the effect is actually quite nice when you hang them all in a row. Not to mention you can take them down and stack them in a small box for storage or moving (or selling!). It isn’t the same as a 10’ print, but it also doesn’t cost $500+ to look good. You can even hang them around a corner to create a 3D view.

bkaylor

Gigapan Curator Gigapan Curator Administator
Total Posts: 22

GigaPan is very serious about supporting and protecting your copyrights to your images. Please read our Purchase Terms for more information: http://gigapan.com/cms/about/purchase-terms. Your gigapans are only printable by others if you check the button “Allow others to print this gigapan?”. You can always print your own gigapans (which is why a print button appears next to it when you are logged in). When you are logged in, you will see the print button available for your prints. Your prints will only be available to others to print if you go to the detail page and select “Allow others to print this gigapan?”.

To double check – log out, then look at your images to make sure the print button is no longer showing up next to gigapans that you have not allowed others to print.

In the near future, we will add a revenue share feature that will allow you to earn revenue for each of your images.

GigaPan is also looking to add large format prints and include such mediums as wallpaper, canvas, acrylic, custom, etc. We will be sure to update our members when these new features become available.

We are creating a FAQ on affordable ways to mount gigapan prints, especially large format. One idea we would like to offer is to nail in magnetic roofing nailsinto your wall and then place magnetic strips on the back of the image to hang tight and straight . The magnets come in many different styles so you can be creative.

Thank you and let us know if you have any questions!

Forums» Web Site and Forum » Printing