1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Indoor Gigapanning » Nodal Point - Need Help!!!

Nodal Point - Need Help!!!
alexander.valtsev alexander.valts...
Total Posts: 4

Hello guys,

I have an 8mm Fisheye Samyang lense and Nikon D5100 camera. I have had troubles setting nodal point on gigapan. Any help?

Thanks,

Alex

David Pivin David Pivin
Total Posts: 40

Alex,

For your Samyang lens, there is a good article about locating it.

“NodalPoint”:http://www.hugha.co.uk/NodalPoint/Index.htm

Your lens is listed in the article. However, the GigaPan system was designed for use with much longer focal lengths. Three is little or no advantage of using it with an 8mm lens. However, there are stitching programs and indexing pano heads that are tuned specifically to work with wide-angle and fisheye lenses.

Dave

David,

Thanks for the reply!

If I get a 10.5mm lens, would that help?

Can you tell me if there is a Fisheye lens that works OK with Gigapan? Maybe my camera model or lens are not compatible?

Thanks,

Alex

spherorama spherorama
Total Posts: 8

Alexander,

on a cropsensor like the D5100 the Samyang lens covers 180 degrees over the diagonal of your format. So for a 360 deg. full sphere you’ ll need only 5 shots iaround if you mount your camera in portrait mode. To be on the save side you take also one nadir- and one zenitshot.

The Gigapan is not made for this kind of Panoramas. I use the Samyang 8 mm lens on a full frame Nikon D700 and D800. I cut off the lens hood in order to cover fullframe. I determined the nodal point of this lens about 1.5 mm behind the golden ring at the lenses front.

On a fullframe camera I need only 4 shots hrizontally to cover a full sphere. Here is a sample of an interor shot with the Samyang on a D700.

Thanks for a great response, Spherorama!

The Gigapan rail, on which the camera sits, actually has a scale. Did you have a chance to see what exact measurement the golden ring would be?

Thanks,

Alexander

spherorama spherorama

Alexander I did not use the Gigapan with the Samyang as it is not suited for this puros. I used the Samyang with a nodalpoint adaptor from Novoflex. However what you can do is mesure tne distance from from approx. 1,5 mm behind the golden ring to the point at the bottom of the camere right where you attach your tripod. Mark the distance measured on the Gigapan-rail. Try to get this point aligned with the center of your Gigapan. This is the axis the Gigapan rotates around.

Next try if you still notice a parallax. You can then finetune your system by moving the camera back and forth.

Thank you, I will try to adjust my Gigapan.

Do you recommend other motorized heads that work well with Fisheyes?

spherorama spherorama

Alexander I have a Single row machine made by MK Panosystems. I have a normal nodalpoint adapter from Novoflex attached to it. I can do a Panorama with only 4 shots.

But you never reach a gigapixel pano this way.

Forums» Indoor Gigapanning » Nodal Point - Need Help!!!