1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Shooting order

Shooting order
Robert Hustead Robert Hustead
Total Posts: 1

I have been looking for information as to why the shooting order might be changed. The default is from top to bottom and left to right. What would be the purpose of changing this?

Customer Service Customer Servic...
Total Posts: 67

You can change the shooting order depending upon environmental factors. Some prefer to shoot ‘Rows Down’ because the movement seems more natural. This may be a better capture method for say, moving clouds. If you’re shooting buildings or trees that might have a change in shadow, then shooting ‘Columns Left’ may be desired. By default the GigaPans shoot ‘Columns Right’.

mskp mskp
Total Posts: 9

In one of his tutorial videos, Illah Nourbakhsh mentions that it is sometimes better to shoot a crowd (in a stadium for example) from left to right in rows, because people tends to move or change its position horizonatlly and not so much vertically.
Sounds logical to me.

John Opie John Opie
Total Posts: 25

My experience has also been that if there are lots of people moving around, you’re best off with left to right, rather than top to bottom. While neither is perfect, the left-to-right tends to handle moving objects, in my experience, better…

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson
Total Posts: 45

Another reason to do columns-down is a dusk pano where the light would get dimmer as you shoot. You could increase the exposure slightly with each column and not have obvious banding.

Matthew Piscitelli Matthew Piscite...
Total Posts: 14

It should be mentioned, however, that this is not possible on all machines. I don’t think that the simplest version of the Epic does not have that capability.

Customer Service Customer Servic...
Total Posts: 67

Matthew, thanks for the reminder. Yes, the Epic Pro can shoot columns-right, columns-left, rows-down, rows-up. The Epic and Epic 100 can shoot columns right, rows-down, rows-up.

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Shooting order