1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Plug spec for elect. shutter release

Plug spec for elect. shutter release
Tom Nelson Tom Nelson
Total Posts: 45

On the old forum (which is now gone) someone posted a spec for the plug GigaPan uses to connect their electronic shutter cord to the robot. Does anyone still have that information? I want the plug that goes into the robot, not the camera, on the Epic 100.

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

The old forum is a treasure trove of great information, and it still exists, just can’t add new stuff. Its at http://forum.gigapan.org

The Epic100 has an official electronic trigger cable for cannon cameras, and for others, you will need to roll your own (5v pulse could trigger a relay or opto isolator) I know I had rigged something up in 2008 for a Nikon d200 using opto-isolators. What camera do you wish to trigger?

Aloysious A Gruntpuddock Aloysious A Gru...
Total Posts: 29

Found this – http://code.google.com/p/stereogigapan/wiki/dig…

Don’t know if it is relevant to your model.

Here is my post on the topic from the old forum, I was using some extra hardware as I wanted a delay for focus and used an arduino mini for the project. I am sure it can be done simpler, but it works great.

The full thread is here: http://forum.gigapan.org/viewtopic.php?t=35 , read it all to have the best understanding…

I now have a Gigapan Pro unit so have not used this in a while.

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson

Thanks to all. Jason, I’m thinking of buying a Panasonic Lumix GX1 and the ability to trigger it thru the GigaPan will greatly influence my decision.

Hi Tom,

I have used the Panasonic cameras and had to build an electronic release for them. The best way to start is to buy a cable release for it off ebay and start modifying it from there. The Panasonics use a couple different resistors for the cable release signal, so its not as straight forward as a Nikon, but very doable if you can use a solder iron. I am not an electrical engineer, just a hacker, so I might not know the best way to do it. My solution is probably more complex than it needs to be as I would use an Arduino mini, two relays, two resistors, a battery to power the Arduino. I have code and sample schematic in the old forum. I can’t think of a really easy way to trigger the Panasonics without some additional electronics (even the epic pro does not support it)

Basically, you use the Arduino Mini to listen for the 5volt digital pulse from the Gigapan on a digital pin set to input, and then have it do a digital output conncted to a pnp transistor to switch a reed relay, the reed relay makes the connection inline with the resistors to fire the Panasonic. In my version, I used two digital outputs, two transistors, and two relays so that I could individually control both focus and shutter- but I have stopped using autofocus due to occasionally missing frames (some sort of feedback loop is needed to detect if the shutter actually did fire and if not, stop the Gigapan, retry shooting, and notify the photographer- but the epic 100 does not have a feedback input- the Epic Pro does) If you are not seeking a programmable focus delay and just want to fire the shutter, its might be possible to skip the whole Arduino and have the Gigapan signal trigger the pnp relay to power the relay and make the connection for the camera shutter (with the resistors inline)

Sparkfun.com sells the Arduino Mini for about $20, I can give you the code needed to program it, but you will have to assemble the rest of the parts (all available from RadioSchack, two reed relays, a pack of pnp transistors, the two resistors {not sure thier values right now, but I can check later}, a small predrilled circuit board, a wire wrap too and wire, a 9v battery and clip, a switch to turn it off, the plugs to connect to camera and Gigapan, and a little box to put it all in, all less than another $20)

Learning Arduino stuff is fun too.

I build one of these to fire two Panasonics for stereo gigapanning, so I used 4 relays to simultaneously fire both cameras with each trigger pulse- it took about one evening to build (I am not scared of the solder iron or putting this stuff together, but this not really beginner project)

Good luck, I think you would be happy with the Panasonic on an Epic 100, size should fit well. The Sony NEX7 seems like a great choice as it has a nice 24mp sensor, but Sony has NO cable relase options for it!

The new Nikon d3200 seems like a good choice too, easy to build the shutter release, would fit on Epic 100, 24mp APS-c sensor, and great Nikon glass.

Let me know how it goes.

Jason

Jason, just wondered why you doubled up on the relays when adding another camera.

Surely one relay should be able to cope with the low currents from the firing/ focus circuits of several cameras?

Eric

Aloysious, good question. I doubled up on the relays because of the way the Panasonics cable release works. The panasonics use a one wire,two different resistance values method – where the camera measures the end voltage of a current loop to detect if its focus or shutter being activated. I originally tried doing it with just one shared circuit, but it was changing the resistance in the loop and did not work, the two stereo cameras need independent circuits. This is not the case with the Nikon 10pin system, which can allow control of multiple cameras with one circuit (it uses two separate connectivity loops, one for focus, one for shutter, so no resistors needed, also, I have had success with Nikon by just using optoisolators so no mechanical relays needed.)

You could probably figure out the required resistance for two Panasonic cameras, but then the circuit would not work with just one camera. Also, I think the cameras themselves when plugged in together on the same circuit were changing the resistance in the loop and crosstalking, they really needed independent circuits.

I see, thank you.

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson

Thanks for the information, Jason. I’ll let you know if I buy the Panasonic.

Hi Tom,

Another idea came to me this morning as I played with a new toy. A very interesting camera accessory that just came available is the ‘Triggertrap’ app for iOS devices that lets the iphone/ipad be the smarts for a cable release that features HDR, timelapse, motion detection, GPS movement, and more. Check out http://www.triggertrap.com My unit finally arrived in the mail yesterday, it consists of a little dongle that listens for noise from the headphone jack and triggers the cable release on the camera. It comes with the option for a plug for most any camera that can be cable release controlled (including Nikon DSLRs and the Panasonic’s) The dongle is $10 and $10 for the camera connecting cable. I mention this as it would probably work with the Gigapan unit to connect to your Panasonic of interest with little or no modification necessary or it would be an easy base for creating a cable that would work properly. The camera connection cable is essentially a headphone jack, so the resistors and stuff necessary for the Panasonic cable release are built in to it. The dongle may work just from the pulse from the Gigapan, I have not tested it, but essentially it is activated by the iPhone sending out a pulse of sound on all frequencies (0HZ to 22000HZ all at maximum db) to generate a voltage through the headphone jack, this voltage self powers the dongle to activate a connection with optoisolators (so there is no physical electrical connection between iphone and camera).

I mention all this as, besides being a cool gadget, the dongle and camera connector cord might work well to connect the Epic and Epic 100 to cameras for electronic shutter release at minimal cost or complexity.

I do not have an Epic100 to test it with though (only have the Epic Pro, which, of course, already does the electronic shutter release), so someone else will have to take the plunge and try it.

Check it out http://triggertrap.com & https://triggertrap.com/products/dongle/

Jason

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 138

The plug (per the old forums) is a standard HiTec male servo connector, which should be available at any hobby shop that deals in R/C planes, cars, etc.

As for the Panasonic shutter cable, I just picked up an FZ150, so I need one too. I just ordered all of the parts to build 3 of these: http://www.motionfxdesign.com/2012/03/gigapan-e… and will report back on how that works out.

Tom Nelson Tom Nelson

How did your Panasonic cable work out, Mosley?

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 138

It works perfectly – I was using it today as a matter of fact.

I forgot to update this thread, but I posted an annotated schematic with Mouser electronics part numbers over here: http://www.gigapan.com/forums/7/topics/72

deanroczen deanroczen
Total Posts: 4

“Here is my post on the topic from the old forum, I was using some extra hardware as I wanted a delay for focus and used an arduino mini for the project. I am sure it can be done simpler, but it works great.

The full thread is here: http://forum.gigapan.org/viewtopic.php?t=35 , read it all to have the best understanding…

I now have a Gigapan Pro unit so have not used this in a while"

Jason,
How is this different for you now that you are using the Epic Pro?? Are you using the Panny with the Pro??

I wish I could get in to the old forum…so I could learn from my past self!

For the Epic Pro, I created a different Arduino circuit to fire two Panasonic’s stereoscopically.

Although I have not confirmed this, I suspect the circuit could be much easier to make by incorporating this $10 TriggerTrap dongle: https://triggertrap.com/shop/cl-l1/

The dongle creates the right resistor values for the Panasonic when the phono plug connections are shorted, so the circuit could probably be driven from the Epic Pro directly using optoisolators or maybe even directly from the Epic Pro.

Long answer short: yes, for less than $30 in parts, I drive Panasonics with Epic Pro, and yes, to do so, you will need to build a simple circuit and use a soldering iron.

lucavascon lucavascon
Total Posts: 6

Jason, that is interesting!!
Do you think that iphone triggertrap dongle could fire whatever camera, if connected with our Epic 100??
More…
Any suggestion?
http://www.lucavascon.net/blog/
thanx!
Luca.

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Plug spec for elect. shutter release