1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Free movement when switched off?

Free movement when switched off?
Christian Lapp Christian Lapp
Total Posts: 1

After shooting the panorama I’d like to shoot some extra images from the same position. So I would leave the camera on the epic and move them by hand. Is that possible or does the motor block movement when epic is switched off?

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 54

Not totally sure what you are trying to do, but the epic 100 moves left/right on its base pretty easily when it is off, the epic pro does as well. Moving it on the vertical axis (up/down) is hard, you can sort of do it smoothly on the epic 100, definitely not on the Epic Pro. I’m not sure if it hurts the servos to force them around a lot when the epic is off but you definitely are pushing against the servo when you move the camera in the vertical axis even when it is off.
It would be nice if the epic pro had some feature where it was tracking the field of view of your whole panorama and gave you additional options for repeating parts of the image or adding rows or columns if you decided you wanted to shoot a bigger image after you finished the pano, etc, but there’s nothing like that yet. On both Epic and Epic Pro can repeat the last pano and (tediously) move the camera to any position in it if you want to repeat a single image but it’s not that easy to do except for repeating images you just missed, etc.

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 90

Have you tried using “Last Panorama”? It’s basically made for this precise situation – even keeps you aligned with the grid of the original panorama. I usually just move around with the arrows while it’s asking for the starting position and then release the shutter manually. Repeat as necessary. You can’t get the extra columns and rows that Tim requests (I agree this would be a useful feature for future versions of the firmware), but you can reshoot anything within the original grid.

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Free movement when switched off?