1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » a couple of minor idiot proofing mods for the Epic 100 camera rail

a couple of minor idiot proofing mods for the Epic 100 camera rail
Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

I recently purchased an Epic 100 after using the original Epic for over 2 years. I love the new imager, but have found a couple of areas that make it relatively easy to trip myself up in the field. I often fit the camera by feel, and am not used to the three thumb screws (two to adjust the rail + 1 tripod screw) on the bottom of the adjustable stage. Once or twice, I’ve grabbed the wrong one when in a hurry and have mounted the camera crooked as a result.

I’ve come up with two easy mods that don’t void the warranty and should keep me from making the same mistake again.

First, after fitting the camera to the stage carefully (much easier to do with the stage detached from the imager, by the way), I measured the gap between the two plates, and cut a piece of mat board to fit. I then loosened the sliding plate a bit, inserted the mat board and tightened it down. Voila – no more crooked mounting. The back of the stage will stay parallel to the front. This would also be very handy for using multiple cameras on one imager. A mat board would be cut for each camera and would greatly speed up the adjustment of the stage.

http://thehardyfamily.net/filechute/EpicMod1.JPG

The second mod I made was to make the stage adjustment screws feel different from the tripod screw. I simply cut pieces of 1/2" heatshrink tubing, slid them over the knobs and shrunk them in place. Now I know immediately if I have the tripod screw in my fingers or not, entirely by feel.

http://thehardyfamily.net/filechute/EpicMod2.JPG

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » a couple of minor idiot proofing mods for the Epic 100 camera rail