1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Gigapan 2006

Gigapan 2006
Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 139

Amazing how far things have come. . .

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/visualized-g…

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

I think the 2006 device actually looks pretty nice. It has USB control of the camera, something the Beta, Epic, and Epic 100 lacked, not till the Epic Pro in 2010 did it show up. If the electronics were packed in a waterproof container and throw in a Bluetooth connection, and that would be a great system for taking panoramas with an Iphone. I think the sample is held sideways also, it should probably be taking photos with camera vertical, but maybe not. I wish they would have come out with this as a hacker kit, open source, build one yourself.

Rich Gibson Rich Gibson
Total Posts: 3

This Gigapan of Gigapans shows more of the early devices:
http://gigapan.com/gigapans/43813

It includes the first gigapan, the unit mounted to wood leaning against the wall, which Randy had set up in his back yard for 6 months :-)

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Wow, those are some beautiful prototypes, and displayed in a Gigapan nonetheless ! I really enjoyed looking at each one and thinking of all the thought that went into each creation! It truly has been an evolutionary revolution.

In particular I really like the big weatherproof housing on the left, was it ever operational? There is a big box crate, was it housing computers? I liked seeing the original was servos, not steppers. The Gigapan v2 circuit board was interesting, powered by at attiny.

Having been trying myself to create such devices before the Gigapan Beta ever came out, I have some various things around here that look like this stuff, including a bunch of steppers, servos, and arduinos. I think I have spent more money on prototype gear from sparkfun.com than I have with Gigapan, but the Gigapan stuff works far better than my creations;)

Thank you for sharing this Rich!

Jason

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Gigapan 2006