1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Hacking EPIC-100 for 2-axis turntable?

Hacking EPIC-100 for 2-axis turntable?
chuong chuong
Total Posts: 1

Hello everyone,

GigaPan robot is a great device for automatic image acquisition and I would like use it as a 2-axis turntable. An object to be scanned would be placed at the normal position for the camera and the camera would look at the object horizontally at a fixed position from outside.

However with current configuration, part of the 360-degree view around the object is blocked by the side of the tilting gear. As result to avoid this problem, the control box has to be kept still and the pan motor underneath has to be moved out and attached to the tilting frame to rotate the scanned object directly. My questions are:

- Is it possible to detach the pan motor like this with minimal modification?

- If not, what is the type of stepper motor equivalent to the pan motor so that the control box can be rewired to run a new stepper motor with the same rotation step as with its pan motor?

I understand such alterations would void GigaPan warranty but this seems to be a quick efficient way to build a 2-axis turntable with automatic image acquisition.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Chuong

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Hacking EPIC-100 for 2-axis turntable?