1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Computer setup your using

Computer setup your using
Alan_Whyte Alan_Whyte
Total Posts: 10

I was just wondering if people would share what computer setup they are using to create there gigapans as mine is really struggling with large files so would appreciate some input from others on processor, amount of ram graphics card and any other things you can suggest.

dylan.cauchon dylan.cauchon
Total Posts: 1

if you are using photoshop to edit you images make sure you go into your preferences, go under performance and let photoshop use all the ram on your computer this will help.

Alan_Whyte Alan_Whyte
Total Posts: 10

Thanks Dylan I will try that, it does only seem to happen when I try and automate a panorama in photoshop and although microsoft ice does things really quickly it does not always line things up.May have to bite the bullet and get something faster than an i3 processor as would like to use autopano giga 3 or pt gui as they give more control over stitching.

cwinhall cwinhall
Total Posts: 27

Hi Alan,

I am a professional photographer so having a computer that can handle photoshop to the max (gigapans especially) is essential.

My suggestion for building a computer for gigapans is this;

i7 processor – this is an absolute must, so much computing power is needed for stitching etc.

ram – as much as you can afford, ive gone with 32gb of ram and am already thinking of upgrading to 64gb.

hard drive – get 3 hard drives, 2 x SSD and 1 by normal 7200rpm. The first SSD is used for windows and photoshop. The 2nd ssd you use solely as a scratch disk for photoshop (this can be set in your preferences). The 3rd you use as a backup for your files.

graphics – most low end graphics card will be fast enough for the gpu needs of photoshop. Dont stress too much about this!

Peter Banks Peter Banks
Total Posts: 2

cwinhall, I disagree with your statement regarding a low end video card. Most graphics programs now using the GPU in these high end cards to process the stitching or other processes instead of the CPU, or as well as. Since the CPU is usually 2, 4, 6 or 8 cores and the GPU are 128 cores using then can reduce stitching time from 30 minutes to less than 5 minutes. That is when processing 300 to 500 photos. The current card I use is the GTX 640 which is a dog but OK, I am not trying to source a GTX 690 which uses over 3000 cuda cores will be even faster. I have 2 SSD drives in my machine as you suggest, but using a SSD Drive as C: for programs and scratch drive makes very little difference since access speed is so fast not to slow down the process.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/10/how-t…

cwinhall cwinhall
Total Posts: 27

Hi Peter,

It is true that GPU’s are much more powerful than the CPU, however, photoshop uses the GPU (OpenGL) in very few circumstances and most of them will not matter when dealing with gigapan photos. The only thing when I’m editing a large file that the GPU handles is zooming and panning around the image. This is a basic openGL task and most (not all) cheaper end bracket of graphics card will handle this sufficiently.

Now im not saying to skimp on graphics but, higher end graphics cards are not needed, your money is better spent on SSD’s and RAM.

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Computer setup your using