1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Gigapan Mechanism » Remotely control the gigapan unit

Remotely control the gigapan unit
cwinhall cwinhall
Total Posts: 27

I’m in dire need of a way to control the Gigapan unit remotely. I find it hard to blieve that functionality for this wasn’t thought of? The Gigapan unit is most useful when elevated above the scene you want to shoot, in order to get more rows in the photo, I therefore want to use it on a crane but have no way in which to control the unit once it is elevated.

Please may you work to a solution for this please Gigapan. Or give me advice on how I may construct my own system for working the buttons of the unit remotely, or how I can interface with the unit safely.

Thanks,

Colin.

cwinhall cwinhall

Dear Gigapan Systems,

You should seriously contemplate hiring a Social & Community staff member for your company. The first link on your navigation for your website is “Community” yet you don’t regularly maintain your relationship with this community or promote it. I think it’s bad for your business.

cwinhall cwinhall

Hello? Guess not.

lucavascon lucavascon
Total Posts: 6

I agree.
We definitely need a remote for the unit.
I’ll try to disassemble mine and see what can be done.
If anybody has got an idea, he is welcome.
I’d add that epic 100 needs heavy hacking to be really functional.

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 138

@Colin – I agree 100%. which unit are you speaking of, by the way? The Epic Pro has a start delay function, and can also be started with a remote. Here’s a quote from the manual:

Start Del/Trig – Enables a timer delay of {External Trigger, 15s, 30s, 45s, 1m, 2m, 5m, Timer } before the panorama capture begins. The external trigger setting is designed to work with a Canon E3 style remote shutter that is inserted in the EPIC Pro remote trigger port.

I suppose you could pre-set the number of rows/columns, send it up on the crane, and use a GoPro3 and the gopro app for positioning. (There are hotshoe mounts for the GoPro that let it sit right on top of a DSLR)

. . .then start the panorama with the remote.

The difficult part would be leveling the imager after it’s up on the crane, but given the FOV of the GoPro, you could probably stick a level somewhere that you could actually see it.

I’d love to see wireless full control of the imager with an iphone app, myself but I don’t know if there’d be enough demand to persuade Gigapan Systems to develop one at a reasonable price point.

Gigapan Curator Gigapan Curator Administator
Total Posts: 22

We apologize for the delayed response. I’d like to let you know that GigaPan has plans to create a remote for the GigaPan EPIC Pro. Since this type of functionality is still in the development phase, we don’t have an estimated release date, however, we will be sure to keep you updated as this new feature progresses. Thank you for your feedback and please let me know if you have any other comments or questions.

cwinhall cwinhall

Thanks for the reply.

I am taking the unit to a mechanical engineer today to produce a makeshift remote system for the unit for me. I will post details of it once completed and the cost for those out there that may wish to have a system now and like myself cannot wait till a gigapan system is developed.

lucavascon lucavascon
Total Posts: 6

Hi all!
I’m keeping a diary of my Epic hack here:
http://www.lucavascon.net/blog/
Mechanical part was a breeze.
All my respect to the one that made a tidy board. A tidy building and a simple and hackable thing.
Looking it there are some places that are like screaming to be an USB connection!!!
For the remote.
Look to the microswitch on the right… that is the one I will solder a cheapo chinese camera radio trigger to.
cwinhall, keep us informed! :-)
GigaPan Curator, that would be a DREAM feature! Along with possibilities like programming standard shooting configurations. It would open up Epic possibilities to the world of us “pro” pano shooters! Count me in for any kind of betatesting

cwinhall cwinhall

As promised, here is a short video of my remote control unit in action…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kE3MMGW8o

More to come.

Anne Rowland Anne Rowland
Total Posts: 1

I too would like a remote way of triggering the epic pro. cwinhall’s seems swell. My extra prob is that I can’t hook up my Leica to trigger automatically so usually do it manually….. Gigapan Curator, please update us all on this remote trigger thingie.

Ronnie Miranda Ronnie Miranda
Total Posts: 24

cwinhall, this is a cool hack. I’m sure this can be improved upon using Bluetooth or even wifi. When combined with the Canon EOS Utility, for example, not only can you control the GigaPan but also control the camera as well and see a live preview, adjust exposure settings, etc. There are many iOS and Android apps that can control the camera as well.

Many panoheads such as Kolor Panogear or Clauss Rodeon have wireless remote control as a standard feature and can be controlled by PDA or a laptop. I don’t know why GigaPan can’t add this simple feature. The EPIC Pro was launched in April 2010 and there has been no update to this product line ever since.

Forums» Gigapan Mechanism » Remotely control the gigapan unit