1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Digital Cameras on Gigapan » EPIC 100 and Canon T2i

EPIC 100 and Canon T2i
Uri Fans Uri Fans
Total Posts: 21

I know the EPIC PRO is listed as the compatible unit for this camera, but I would like to use it with a 100. The cost difference between the 100 and the Pro is one factor, but mostly it’s the size and weight of the Pro that I find daunting.

If I put a Canon 70-200 f/4 lens on the T2i it only weights 2.75 lbs. Since the 100 can take up to 10 lbs., isn’t it possible to use with the 100? Are there any caveats?

Uri Fans Uri Fans

Well, found the answer to my own question. I tried both a 100 and a Pro at a camera store.

It turns out that a T2i with a 70-200 mm lens is too heavy for the 100. Even though it’s rated for over 4 kg, the lens puts so much forward weight on the unit that it simply tilts down until it can’t go any further.

The Pro handles the T2i & lens combo just fine. It’s too bad; the 100 is such a nice compact size.

Uri Fans Uri Fans

Oops; just realized I goofed – it’s the Pro that’s rated for 10 lbs, not the 100. That pretty much explains it :(

Phillip Simpson Phillip Simpson
Total Posts: 5

I’m using a Canon 60D on an Epic 100 and staying under the weight limit. The trick is to use one of the light weight plastic kit lenses that Canon makes. I’m using the EF-S 55-250mm that I got on ebay for $150. When the mounting plate is pushed all the way back it balances just fine. You also need a shutter release cable. The one GigaPan sells can be made to work but it’s a tight fit with the 60D, there’s not much clearance. I ended up making a cable up that has a lower profile and allows me to square the camera properly.

Tim Brown Tim Brown
Total Posts: 54

Until I got the epic pro a few months ago, all my gigapans were shot on an old epic 100. with a canon T2i or T1i and the cheap 55-200 or the sigma equivalent lens. I got it free for a project so I’m not sure which model it was, I think it was one of the original ones they gave out to gigapan fellow a couple of years ago, so the newer epic 100 may be even more solid. I took care to get everything well centered when putting the camera on the mount and made sure the nut on the arm was very tight but I never ran into problems. I shot up to 12gp using this equipment.

See for example: http://gigapan.com/galleries/5582/gigapans

Forums» Digital Cameras on Gigapan » EPIC 100 and Canon T2i