1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Digital Cameras on Gigapan » PowerShot SX40

PowerShot SX40
Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

I finally had a chance to try out my new Canon SX40HS with the EPIC 100, and I thought I’d report on what I’ve found so far.

If you’re considering this camera for Gigapanning, there’s good news and bad news.

First, be aware that RAW format is not offered on this model out of the box. If you’re intent on shooting RAW, it can be done but there’s one very significant tradeoff. The popular CHDK firmware hack gives the camera the ability to save .DNG files when properly configured. The downside is that it takes right at 3 second per exposure to accomplish it. Add in 1 second for a start delay (to let the lens settle)if you’re shooting at full zoom, and you’re at 4 seconds per exposure.

On the other hand, if you’re satisfied with JPEG, it’s a very quick camera when properly configured. I’ve found that if you configure the EPIC for a short button push and set the SX40 to ContinuousLV mode, you can get 1 exposure per second. It will actually go down to .8 sec, but as the card starts to heat up it will miss exposures.It also has the advantage of SDXC compatibility which gives you the ability to buy a 64Gb memory card for about $50.

A number of reviews have called the SX40 the best super zoom on the market. We shall see. . .

I’ll report more as I gain experience with the camera.

Mosley Hardy Mosley Hardy
Total Posts: 129

After a bit more experience with it, I’m afraid the SX40 is ebay-bound. Pity.

It seems to have the same problem that Ron Schott found with his SX-10 as documented in this thread: http://forum.gigapan.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=736 .

Specifically, it processes the color in JPEG files regardless of whether iContrast is off or not. When shooting skylines, it will brighten the sky in shots where part of a building appears, making it impossible to get an even colored sky in the final Gigapan without a lot of Photoshop work.

Without a workable way to shoot RAW, that makes it unreliable for Gigapanning, at least for me.

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 89

Sorry to hear that, Mosley, but thanks for documenting it. As I go through all my old GigaPans shot with the SX10 (adding metadata) the issue becomes more and more noticable. I’m sorry to have to say it, but I think you’re making the right choice. It’s a shame, because otherwise this would probably have been a great camera for GigaPanning.

Forums» Digital Cameras on Gigapan » PowerShot SX40