1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Stitch » Stitcher Crashes ....

Stitcher Crashes ....
Art Pollard Art Pollard
Total Posts: 11

I just purchased a gigapan — literally two days ago. Last night, I tried my first Gigapan and I put together a 6×13 matrices of pictures. I exported them from Lightroom in TIFF format and tried to stitch them together. 18% through the stitch, I received the following crash report:

Assertion Failed

ImageProjector.cpp
Line 15
Input_bounds.width() > 0 && input_bounds.height > 0

The TIFF files are quite large (200MB) as I shot this with my D800E. The Stitch software is the latest as I just downloaded it (obviously) at: 2.0.05001. I’m running Win7(64bit). I have plenty of disk space and memory. I left Vignette Correction on (though it recommended off due to no exposure information.)

What do I do? I tried JPEG as well with more or less the same results. (It processed to the point of crashing faster with JPEG than with TIFF due to the smaller file size.)

-Art

Customer Service Customer Servic...
Total Posts: 67

Hello Art,

I see you opened a support case with us and we replied, so please check your email.

mootsrider mootsrider
Total Posts: 2

Hello Art: I just purchased a EPIC PRO also (Sept 30th) but I’m using a Nikon D300 and just shot my first Gigapan and it was only 4×5 shots as NEF RAW and made corrections to them and converted them to TIFF format. I get an assertion error also when I try to stitch them also but at line 17. Tilestatusset.cpp
Expression:_M_work_level>=0

I’m using Windows XP Home 32 bit only.

Have you been able to resolve your error?

I have contacted support but have not got a resolution to my problem yet. I’m able to stitch JPG files with no problems. Jerry Downing

Customer Service Customer Servic...
Total Posts: 67

Jerry,

We sent you a reply with instructions. Yes, there may be a potential bug and the developer wants to try to reproduce the problem you encountered.

Paul Heckbert Paul Heckbert
Total Posts: 32

Art Pollard: going beyond what Alicia (customer support) told you, I was able to fix this bug in mid-August in my internal test version of the Stitch software that will be part of our next release. If you contact Alicia, she might be able to help you out by making a version of that available to you. In the meantime, if you are working with Stitch 2.0 or Stitch 2.1 (both of which have the bug with symptoms “Assertion failed: Input_bounds.width() > 0 && input_bounds.height > 0”), a workaround is to quit out of stitch and restart it. That should fix your problem.

Jerry Downing / mootsrider: It appears we have a bug in Stitch 2.0 and 2.1 with handling TIFF files written by Nikon’s ViewNX software (perhaps the EXIF headers written by ViewNX are slightly nonstandard?). Is ViewNX what you created your TIFF files with? I hope to find a better fix for this problem for the long term, but in the meantime, I recommend that either:
a) use Photoshop or Lightroom or some other software to read and rewrite your TIFF files before running them through Stitch, or
b) use ViewNX to output JPEG file format instead of TIFF.

-Paul Heckbert
GigaPan Stitch & Upload developer

mootsrider mootsrider
Total Posts: 2

Thanks Paul for information; I’m using Nikon Capture NX2 to convert the .NEF files to TIFF format. I know .JPG works but the quality loss is not good for me. I really do not want to spend Mega $$$$$$ for Photoshop if I do not have to. I really do not like the user interface of Photoshop. I saw someone in the forum was having problems with Lightroom files as it would not handle large files. Can Lightroom convert my .NEF files to TIFF? Thanks Jerry Downing

Paul Heckbert Paul Heckbert
Total Posts: 32

I don’t work with NEF files, but I believe that Lightroom can read NEF files. Note that Lightroom costs $, also.

Forums» Stitch » Stitcher Crashes ....