1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Stitch » Export stitch in high res?

Export stitch in high res?
hassefeldthaus hassefeldthaus
Total Posts: 1

Hi there.

I have downloaded the gigapan stitching trial software, and I just love the stitching results. But it seems to me that the normal workflow is to upload the results to your website. I would prefer to have my stitches stored locally instead. There is a possibility to export stitches into tiff or raw, but the tiff quality is nothing less than horrible.

I am really enjoying the sticher, and would love to buy it when my trial version has run out. But first I need to know if the bought version has better ways of exporting a stitch (or parts of a stitch) in higher quality and preferable directly as jpegs (so I can use them as background images or so my friends can watch them without having to hassle with imaging software).

What I would love to be able to, is to mark out a crop area, and set the desired pixel width and height (and jpg quality) on the output file, and that your software then would do the calculations needed to spit out a jpg file of the desired size and jpg compression.

Can I do anything like that with the full version – or do you have any workaround workflows that would help me obtain somthing like this?

Thanks in advance
(-:Hasse

digitaldreams digitaldreams
Total Posts: 1

sadly no. gigapan forces you to use their stitich software and to upload it to their site. within that stitch app there is no way, that i can see, to export the result as a tiff or jpeg.

I too very much desire to do same as you.

alternatives are to use 3rd party stitch software but i’ve had zero luck, i tried PT gui, Kolor autopani giga and photoshop to try and stitch but its really tedious and difficult when you have 50+ images that have to line up properly.

it seems the Stitch EFX ecslusively has the algorithm to recognize the columns and rows of the images taken with the hardware, whereas 3rd party app don’t. now autopano giga comes close but it still fails for me.

i have a 45 image that stitches perfect with stitch efx but when i use autopano giga, same exact files will not line up properly no matter how i try. i’ve spent hours on hours trying this.

to be honest i’d rather have stitch EFX give me the option to export locally to jpeg, tiff or whatever format and let me decide what to do with the file. why must gigapan dictate that the final option is to upload??

i pay all this for software and hardware and be forced to upload the file.
i’d rather save locally where I can then adjust it to my liking. There is a lot more I can do to the image, like tone map, apply tiltshift, and many other effects via photoshop. My computer is perfectly capable of opening an 8gb tiff file.
even if its too large i want the option to resize the picture when exporting.

why are simple options not available?

Ron Schott Ron Schott
Total Posts: 89

Stitch EFX may not do exactly what you’ve described, but it is quite easy to do what you want with a combination of Stitch EFX and Photoshop (or GIMP, I presume). I’ve had excellent success exporting stitched images in Photoshop RAW format and then modifying them in Photoshop (crop, change size, etc.) and then saving to any applicable format (remember some GigaPans can be too large for some types of formats). I agree it would be nice to have options like this built into Stitch EFX, but it’s really not a big deal to do most of the post-stitching work in Photoshop.

And maybe, if you ask nicely, Stitch EFX will incorporate some of these features into a future version…

Chris Fastie Chris Fastie
Total Posts: 13

For some panoramas, Microsoft ICE does an excellent job stitching. It has an option for structured panoramas (row by column) although such structure is not required. After stitching, you can select from several different projections, straighten the horizon, and crop. It will output several file types at whatever resolution you choose, or upload the full resolution result to Photosynth.net, which has a nice spherical viewer. It is fast and easy — you can drag and drop your photos and it goes to work. ICE is free (Windows only).

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" The Gigapanogra...
Total Posts: 107

Autopano does all the things you want from a stitcher. You will need some software for viewing the results if you don’t want to upload to gigapan.com. KRPano is what I use for spherical (“VR”) projections.

In my experience and opinion Autopano is much too buggy for the price they charge, but it is probably the best all-round stitching program out there.

Michael Franz Michael Franz
Total Posts: 7

digitaldreams…..

Please allow me to chime in here. I want to make sure that you have the correct information.

1. Gigapan Stitch and Stitch EFX allow you, the user, to export your images
directly to your desktop. We do not force anyone to upload to our site. In
the File menu of Stitch, you will see that there is an option to Export
Stitched image as either a TIFF or RAW (Adobe RAW).
The beta version on our website allow you to Export as either a Classic
TIFF, Big TIFF (only readable by CS6), JPEG, PNG, or RAW. It also allows you
to down sample the image if you choose.

2. PTgui, AutopanoGiga (APG), and Photoshop for stitching. I personally own
them all. While I don’t use Photoshop to stitch very often, I do use the
others. Are you aware that there are features in both of these programs that
allow you to align in a grid format the way that the Gigapan EPIC mounts
shoot? In PTgui, there is an “Align to grid” feature in the Project menu and
APG has a wizard that allows you to actually select the Gigapan as your
device and choose the pattern you shot the image in.

3. There is a reason that I own all of them. Some are better than others in
different situations. Often times when there is an abundance of blue sky,
PTgui and APG will have problems creating control points where Gigapan’s
forces them into their assigned location.

Seldom do I upload directly from Stitch. My typical workflow is this:
Shoot pano, import images into Lightroom for post processing, make adjustments and sync settings to all images, export those images out as TIFF’s or JPG’s and open them in my stitch program of choice. Once stitched, I export/save my images to my computer then open them in Photoshop, crop them and lastly I launch the Gigapan uploader.

I hope this is helpful. Should you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Best, Mike

Forums» Stitch » Export stitch in high res?