1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Forum

Welcome to the GigaPan Forum!

This is the place for Gigapan.com members to offer peer-to-peer support for exchanging tips, ideas, comments, etc.

Those who need direct technical assistance with their GigaPan EPIC Series imagers, stitching software or gigapan.com membership account should contact us.

Forums » Stitch » GigaPan Stitch 2.2 Beta Software Release

GigaPan Stitch 2.2 Beta Software Release
Gigapan Curator Gigapan Curator Administator
Total Posts: 22

NEW FEATURES AND FIXES IN 2.2

To download GigaPan Stitch 2.2 Beta software, please visit: http://gigapan.com/cms/shop/download-the-gigapa…

New GigaPan Stitch file export features:

- It is now possible to export to TIFF, JPEG, PNG or Photoshop Raw. Image size can be full size, half size, 1/4 size, 1/8 size, etc.

- File size estimates and warnings are given about size limits (e.g., JPEGs can’t be wider than 65,500 pixels, and Classic TIFFs can’t be larger than 4 gigabytes).

- As export starts, disk space and file system checks are made, including user warnings and advice (e.g., on FAT32 file system, common on USB sticks, the max file size is 4 gigabytes).

- Support for BigTIFF file format has been added, which is a dialect of TIFF that allows sizes larger than 4 gigabytes. Please note that few applications support BigTIFF fully (e.g., Photoshop CS6, for example, can read BigTIFF but cannot write it).

- When exporting, EXIF tags record the DateTimeOriginal of the input images and set the Software tag to document that images were written by GigaPan Stitch. The former feature is useful if you use a photo organizer such as iPhoto and like to arrange your images chronologically. EXIF is only written to TIFFs and JPEGs, not other formats.

GigaPan Upload can read BigTIFF files:

Miscellaneous changes have been made to the EXIF code, which is used to extract information from input images, such as camera model, exposure time, aperture, focal length, and time of image capture. Some of these, including focal length, width, and height, affect alignment.

Bug Fixes

- When users cancel a stitch, rearrange images, and stitch, the program will no longer crash.

- PSB files wider than 300,000 pixels will no longer report an error.

- TIFFs written by Nikon ViewNX software (and some others) will no longer mis-read EXIF files. In the past, this has caused bad alignment (e.g. gigapans with modest field of view were mistaken for 360×180 spheres).

Tips and Tricks:

1. When entering your license key, be sure not to leave extraneous spaces in the entry field; our system thinks the extra spaces are extraneous characters and won’t accept the license key.

2. The download for GigaPan Stitch is bundled with the Stitch.Efx trial mode. This won’t affect performance of the basic Stitch program, and the ‘trial mode’ message will either end after the 14-day trial period expires or you can decide to purchase Stitch.Efx. You can confirm this by going to the Help Menu > License, where it specifies which version you have and how many days are remaining in Efx trial mode.

3. The GigaPan Stitch Manual is located at http://www.gigapan.com/cms/manuals/epic-pro-sti…

For more information, please read our press release: http://gigapan.com/cms/pdf/stitchbeta2-2.pdf

Glen David Short Glen David Shor...
Total Posts: 44

“Miscellaneous changes have been made to the EXIF code, which is used to extract information from input images, such as camera model, exposure time, aperture, focal length, and time of image capture. Some of these, including focal length, width, and height, affect alignment.”

- does it transfer GPS info, if it is present in the EXIF file?

Hello Glen,

No. Stitch/Stitch Efx ‘ignores’ GPS tags, so nothing is affected in the stitching process.

Kent Squires Kent Squires
Total Posts: 2

I have Stitch.Efx. Do any of these changes affect efx, or are there changes coming for efx?

Hi Kent,

This affects Stich.Efx and Stitch software. Thanks!

von Aichberger & Roenneke Neue Medien von Aichberger ...
Total Posts: 1

So GigaPan Stitch.Efx can read Photoshop PSB files wider than 300,000 px? But what for? Which program can create those files? Photoshop can’t. The internal limit even in Photoshop CS6 is still 300,000 px in one dimension – at least as far as I know.
Michael

eesnyder eesnyder
Total Posts: 1

Just an FYI: beta-2.2 was flagged as a “threat” by Norton/Symantec. I don’t know what it is seeing— maybe it is just that it is an unfamiliar program. Can someone more familiar with anti-virus software comment on why the program is being flagged? Below is a dump of the output from the utility. Thanks, eesnyder

Filename: gigapan-stitch-efx-beta-2.2.0375.msi
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Full Path: c:\users\eesnyder\downloads\gigapan-stitch-efx-beta-2.2.0375.msi
Downloaded from http://gigapan.com/cms/file/gigapan-stitc…

Activity
Actions performed: Actions performed: 1
Last Used 5/28/2013 at 3:08:04 PM
Startup Item No
Launched No

Unknown
It is unknown how many users in the Norton Community have used this file.
Unknown
This file release is currently not known.
Medium
This file risk is medium.
Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe
Source: External Media

File Thumbprint – SHA:
ea30c15083aede1562bc25f7653405ec7345b3ab71c88f934fa64ef941a90375
File Thumbprint – MD5:
Not available

Kent Squires Kent Squires
Total Posts: 2

I also get the threat message from Norton, which blocks the download.

Thanks for your bug report. We’re trying to narrow down this problem and determine the cause.

PLEASE CONTACT TECH SUPPORT at http://gigapan.com/cms/support/contact-support and tell us:

1. Have you seen this problem with other software, e.g. Stitch or Stitch.Efx version 2.1, or non-GigaPan software, or just version 2.2?
2. Have you changed versions of Norton Antivirus recently? What version are you running?
3. What version of Windows are you using: XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

Thank you.

Paul Heckbert Paul Heckbert
Total Posts: 32

Michael von Aichberger asked “GigaPan Stitch… can read Photoshop PSB files wider than 300,000 px? But what for?” You are correct that Photoshop cannot create PSB files wider than 300,000 pixels, but PTGui can, and we had a user request this change, and it was simple, so we did it. I wish Photoshop would start supporting editing of pictures of more than 300,000 pixels on a side. In the meantime we at GigaPan will continue to add features to support larger images. For example, Stitch (and Stitch.Efx) now support export in BigTIFF format, and Upload supports reading of TIFF files in BigTIFF format. (Classic TIFF has a max file size of 4 gigabytes, but BigTIFF files are essentially unlimited in size. Photoshop CS6 can read BigTIFF but cannot write it.) See the section on Picture File Formats in the Stitch and Upload Technical Manual at http://tinyurl.com/gigapan-su-tech . -Paul Heckbert, GigaPan Stitch and Upload developer.

Paul Heckbert Paul Heckbert
Total Posts: 32

Regarding the warning from Norton Internet Security software:

Using this Norton software here at GigaPan, I first verified that Stitch and Stitch.Efx contain no third party malware. (At GigaPan, we try to write only buenoware).

As a second check I installed Stitch.Efx 2.2.0375 (the same Windows installer that gave eesnyder some trouble on May 28) and Norton deemed the file “Good – Norton has given this file a good rating.” although it said “Fewer than 50 users in the Norton Community have used this file.” It appears that what’s going on with Norton is that they flag software as a “reputation threat” and attach a fancy-sounding label “WS.Reputation.1” label to it if few other Norton users have ever run it. A few days have passed since eesnyder saw Norton label the software as “medium risk”. The software has not changed a bit in the meantime, but apparently Norton has now seen more users go ahead and use Stitch and Stitch.Efx without reporting problems, so now they report it as “good”. This is kind of a hassle for early adopters like eesnyder.

As a third step I reported to Norton (Symantec) that this WS.Reputation.1 label was a false positive, in this case, i.e. Stitch and Stitch.Efx are not malware. Case closed, I hope.

-Paul
GigaPan Stitch and Upload developer

Jason Buchheim Jason Buchheim
Total Posts: 86

Maybe Norton has it right!

Gigapan Stitch is related to the following:

Extreme CPU, disk and Internet data use spikes,
terrabyte file system consumption,
and bizarre behavior of operators when in the wild (pacing around, fiddling with, feeding, and doting on robots while out in beautiful places ;)

BeckyLeung BeckyLeung
Total Posts: 17

Stitch is updated to version 2.3! For more information, check out the latest forum post: http://gigapan.com/forums/9/topics/580

Thank you,
Becky Leung
becky@gigapan.com

arronlee arronlee
Total Posts: 5

Thanks for your nice sharing. I have never used it before. I wonder whether it offers a trial package for users to check. I used to process diffrent image formats with the help of other imaging SDKs. And I also like the tools which can be customized according to its programming guides. I am looking for more fine image processing tools. I hope I can have a try for it. Thanks for your sharing again.

Jimmy Smith Jimmy Smith
Total Posts: 5

You mentioned that it was possible to export to TIFF, JPEG, PNG or Photoshop Raw. Will it support Bitmap or Jbig in the future? Thank you!

Forums» Stitch » GigaPan Stitch 2.2 Beta Software Release