Comments on Gigapan: Farewell to King Bladud's Pigs

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (March 05, 2012, 05:14PM )

Hi Jason! Thanks for reminding us all about 3d-360.com. The stupid new system doesn't email us when people post new comments so I have only just seen your post :(

2. Jason Buchheim

Jason Buchheim (January 16, 2012, 07:47PM )

It is a 360 degree panorama, so check out this stunning panorama in a 360 degree viewer here www.3d-360.com/11099 Will open in
a new tab or window

David Engle (June 04, 2011, 09:54AM )

You now have a reference source that provides at least one suggestion to create a communal project. Can you imagine the excitement that your previous students would enjoy if they were the main participants in creating a memorable project ... just think ... for the first time in their lives they would be proud of what they accomplished. :) This is just a thought on my part ... nothing more.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (May 26, 2011, 05:59PM )

That's an excellent idea and not dissimilar to one we had for doing something on Great Pultney Street but it got squashed by the council at the last minute. The gigapan class is now formally over but there is some scope for further activity and any suggestions will be gratefully received. For those that don't know about the class see share.gigapan.org/profiles/39861/

David Engle (May 19, 2011, 09:46AM )

Have you perhaps considered what might be a novel situation for you and your Holborne Museum class? ... to generate some sort of art work, like these pigs we see in this panorama, that would create some excitement in Bath, and if I might take a leap forward by saying this, maybe the generated excitement may even be greater that what Bath experienced with the pigs ... just a thought, and more later :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (January 07, 2011, 10:41AM )

LOL, I hadn't noticed that: adding a comment that says nothing but "Hey look at my stuff". How lame. I'm going to flag it as inappropriate.

David Engle (January 02, 2011, 01:25PM )

Looks as if triopetra only wanted to find fame by leaving a comment on what he thought was the best GigaPan he saw during his very brief visit. I agree with his motive.

8. triopetra akoumiani

triopetra akoumiani (June 24, 2009, 03:18AM )

picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=ker tisgr&psc=G&filter=1 Will open in
a new tab or window# MY SHOTS HERE

David Engle (May 24, 2009, 06:58PM )

Months ago, when you posted this comment,' PIG ID PUZZLE (Open Research Problem, Experts Only),' I thought you were speaking of me :) Sorry for the confusion... of the current 69,659 total views of this magnificant GigaPan, close to a 1000 are from me :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (May 24, 2009, 01:03PM )

The 'Experts' in the 'Experts Only' of the title of this puzzle was intended to refer to people who lived and breathed King Bladud's Pigs during the time of the event. It's so hard that it is more of an open research problem than something for which I was expecting an answer. However, you are definitely an expert when it comes to finding fine detail in gigapans David, so your attempt intrigues me. After due consideration I am awarding you 1.95 out of 3 - a good score for an open research problem by a non-Bladudian pig expert. Further comments under each of your snapshots. The judge's decision is not final. He is open to rational debate, reasoned argument and bribes.

David Engle (May 23, 2009, 08:55AM )

Per you contest for "Experts," the following have been found: PIG ID PUZZLE (Experts Only) Are any of the following pigs in this pano? www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 6439&snapshot_id=31293www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 7541&snapshot_id=31296www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 7459&snapshot_id=31285And are in this GigaPan as snapshots: Pig Found 1 Pig Found 2 Pig Found 3 Hunting these babies down is worth a Cuban cigar :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (May 23, 2009, 12:26AM )

I agree about audio. When I was taking share.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?i d=20541 there were African drums playing very loudly as part of a festival going on outside - that would have been great to have captured. On the other hand, do I really want to carry audio recording gear as well as all the gigapan paraphernalia? Perhaps there should be a bit of RAM and a microphone in the GigaPan?

David Engle (May 22, 2009, 11:42PM )

What would really, really be cool is if you could embed audio when upon clicking a button, we could hear you describe this incredible scene taken in front of the Royal Crescent.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (May 21, 2009, 02:47PM )

Thanks for the offer but it is very easy to embed gigapans now - you simply click on the "embed" button and the system generates the HTML for you.

15. nehuse

nehuse (May 21, 2009, 11:38AM )

i dont like pigs but this pigs are very sweety :). i collect this kind of beautyfull panoramas in my site. you can see this panoramas www.megapanorama.com Will open in
a new tab or window if you want to embed panoramas in your site . i can help you .

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 04, 2009, 07:54AM )

Hello Tim, Sorry it has taken me a while to notice your comment. (I have over 200 gigapans ...) It is indeed great fun, and if you have a brass neck, it can get you into all sorts of interesting places. Eg the centre of a ring of 80 decorated brass pigs being viewed by 300 people - I had no official status, I simply asked. The H7 has proved to be an excellent camera. The fact that it is made by Sony seems to put a lot of people off - but it really is their loss. Nearly all my gigapans are taken with the H7. Lately I was given a Canon SD880 to learn to use for a Gigapan Training workshop (www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 19846) and I have to say that works well. The single problem with the H7 is that it is too big to fit on my Gigapan Beta (the same size I believe as the Epic), but as you can tell this hasn't stopped me using it: I simply tie the camera on to the bracket using a compression strap. Gigapan Systems are sending me an Epic 100 which is designed for slightly larger cameras (not DSLRs though) - I can't wait to see how that works with the H7. One issue with the H7 is that it has a great optical zoom, but if you use it at its maximum then you tend to end up with a *lot* of images. Obvious. What isn't so obvious is you need some significant computer power to use those images in a gigapan. I've got a quad-core PC with 4GB and that is barely enough for my bigger panos (600 images). And just don't get me started on how many terabyte drives you get through! Let me know if you want to know anything else.

17. Tim Brockish

Tim Brockish (March 18, 2009, 12:31PM )

Oops. I just noticed the Stitcher Notes: view button - Newbie mistake. Any subjective info you can share would be nice. Again, looks like great fun.

18. Tim Brockish

Tim Brockish (March 18, 2009, 12:28PM )

Nice gigapan photo! Can you share details like how long it took to complete the series of photos? Your resolution setting? Amount of memory used? Also I have a DSC-H9. I see you used the H7. Does it work well for you? Is the H9 also compatible? Whatever you can share, I would appreciate. It looks like great fun.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (February 22, 2009, 07:27AM )

Hi Judy, I think you misunderstood me. I was not saying you are wrong - I am saying you are quite right. And not only are there two occurrences of a man and a woman between pigs 8 and 9 as you correctly point out, there are in fact many more examples of this problem throughout the entire photo. As David says, this kind of problem can be found in any gigapan image that has anything moving in the shot such as a boat or a person or cars.

David Engle (February 21, 2009, 11:22AM )

Judy, During the process of taking a GigaPan, the camera slowly takes photos from left to right, and since part of the crowd moves from left to right, it is the normal to be in the entire panorama several times. Look at this and tell me how many boats you see coming into the Harbor: www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 6336&snapshot_id=18882Looks like six, but it is only one boat.