Comments on Gigapan: Autumn Fields, Evening

1. Ron Schott

Ron Schott (July 28, 2009, 07:53AM )

Hi Vincent - sorry for the slow reply - I'm currently on the road, GigaPanning. On this one I chose a focus point in the woods in the valley below the cliff, somewhere just left of center of the completed image. Pretty much everything in this view is at an infinite focal point, so the decision making on this wasn't so hard. I generally focus on a distance equivalent to the average of the most interesting parts of the GigaPan. Rarely is this the foreground; most commonly infinity. I'm pretty sure that the aperture was set for f/5.7 as this is likely what the full auto setting suggested. I love the Canon SX10 IS / Epic 100 combination. I use it almost exclusively now.

2. Vincent Royer

Vincent Royer (July 19, 2009, 04:18PM )

Hi Ron, very nice GigaPan. I wonder what was your focus point and what is your aperture value. I still have problems to set these two correctly to get such a detailed GigaPan. I just purchased a Canon SX 10 IS and I didn't have to custom fit it on the Epic 100 as it is compatible. Thanks for your answer, Vincent Royer royerv@videotron.ca

3. Meng Foo Choo

Meng Foo Choo (March 09, 2009, 09:12AM )

Do you have problem mounting the S10 IS. I thought the camera Handle will be in the way of the Epic Shutter trigger unit. My G1 cannot mount in the Epic, do you face the same problem?

4. Bill Alberts

Bill Alberts (February 18, 2009, 08:28AM )

Thanks for posting template for the Canon sx10is. any other tips for shooting this camera would be greatly appreciated .

5. Ron Schott

Ron Schott (February 12, 2009, 07:32AM )

I really need to make a more complete blog post or video about the adapter plate I'm using, but in the meantime here's a scan of the plate showing the spacing of the holes with a ruler for scale: ron.outcrop.org/images/S5IS_mounti ng_plate_600w.jpg Will open in
a new tab or windowI hope that helps.

6. Bill Alberts

Bill Alberts (February 11, 2009, 08:53AM )

Unbelievable pan, You have sold me on the sx10. Do you have any tips on mounting it on the gigapan? Thanks

7. Ron Schott

Ron Schott (November 08, 2008, 11:25AM )

Hi James, Glad you like it. I love your Lake Tahoe shots. Wish I had some mountains... It's geotagged now. The alignment is pretty good - both grain elevators are right where they are supposed to be. Not sure if you'll be able to pinpoint the farmhouse though, because the camera location is in an area of Kansas that has only 15 meter resolution (feels like the third world) and the farmhouse may or may not be in an area of 1 meter satellite resolution nearby. [C'mon, Google, get that GeoEye satellite data of Kansas into Google Earth already!]

8. James Turley

James Turley (November 08, 2008, 10:33AM )

PS Geotag this. I'd like to pinpoint the location of the old farm house.

9. James Turley

James Turley (November 08, 2008, 10:32AM )

Nice Pan. Love to see the 20x zoom really work out in this shot. I got an SX110 with 10x, and my systems are struggling with mere 100 shot pans.