Log In now to add this Gigapan to a group gallery.
Log In now to add this Gigapan to a gallery.
About This GigapanToggle
- Taken by
- Explore score
- 0.13 Gigapixels
- Date added
- Mar 10, 2013
- Date taken
I was out for a photo walk during the first night with my new Nikon 28-300mm lens, trying to get my head back into telephoto space. I guess I haven't quite shaken my wide angle kick lately, as this panorama could have been taken much easier with my 16-35mm lens.
This is a 3x5 panoramic shot of Victoria's Bay Street Armoury, spanning from Blanshard Street on the left, to Douglas Street on the right.
Cars were a challenge, as Bay St. is a very busy corridor in Victoria. I even had to contend with firetrucks, as I was shooting this next to a fire station. It took 7 minutes to get 15 exposures without any cars or pedestrians in them.
"[The Bay Street Armoury] is home of the Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) and 5th (BC) Field Artillery Regiment. These Regiments are part of the 39 Canadian Brigade Group in Canada's Army Reserve. The Armoury also houses the 5 (BC) Regiment Museum and Archives."
This set of 15 exposures was taken with my Nikon D600 and new Nikkor 28-300mm lens at 28mm.
I pulled a rookie move and left bracketing on +-1.0 EV from a previous shot, so exposure values were all over the map. I had to balance exposures across all images, and due to super bright street lamps, I had to balance lighting within each exposure itself.
The Nikon D600 and Lightroom give you a lot of latitude to pull that off.
I spent about 45 minutes or so in Lightroom balancing exposures. I then I exported the whole stack from Lightroom and loaded them into Hugin. Fortunately, Hugin picked up the slack where my exposure adjustments dropped off, and properly fused the images into a consistent whole.
I ran a test shot or 2 in Hugin, adjusting the distortion to achieve a realistic image. I rendered an earlier test with an almost comical curve to the building, but it just seemed that I wasn't trying hard enough.
This panorama is rendered using the Panini General projection, with "Exposure corrected, low dynamic range". I also tried the render with "Exposure fused any arrangement" enabled, but it introduced ghosting that wasn't evidenced in the non-fused version.
Final Hugin panorama was adjusted for distortion and blemish removal in Photoshop, then loaded back into Lightroom for final exposure adjustments.
15 exposures, 15815 x 8316 = 131 megapixels, 640 MB ZIP compressed 300 dpi 16-bit TIFF, FOV: approximately 140 degrees x 100 degrees (after crop). Nikon D600, Nikkor 28mm-300mm f/3.5-5.6G lens, manual exposure settings, long exposures between 1.6 seconds and 6 seconds at f/5.6, ISO 400.