David Engle (June 08, 2013, 05:27PM )

Tom, if you can prove that Mendota Springs is the source of the Mississippi River, then you win!

Tom Nelson (June 08, 2013, 04:24PM )

I'll try your suggestion, David, though perhaps our local Mendota Springs water might be superior to all.

David Engle (June 08, 2013, 09:38AM )

I always carry a few bottles of Texas spring water packaged by Ozarka. Since this water is 100% Texas spring water, it is concentrated, and when poured into another container containing regular water, the Ozarka spring water from Texas *springs* to life and it more functional either as drinking water or as helping balance and stabilize tripods as you suggest, but be careful when trying to substitute Bath Spa water with Texas spring water for Bath water is heavier, and doesn't taste as good :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 08, 2013, 08:59AM )

A hook for you to hang a carrier bag of rocks from is a low-tech solution but I found that it is surprising how many gigapan locations are rock-free. I used to carry a large plastic bottle that could be filled with water as an ersatz rock but in the end I came to the conclusion that a heavy tripod was the only proper solution and if that meant a deal of suffering carrying the d*mn thing around then so be it.

David Engle (June 07, 2013, 08:43PM )

Before your device is complete, you may wish to wish the US trademark or copyright office to get a patent ... just saying :)

Tom Nelson (June 07, 2013, 07:34PM )

It's my homemade pano bracket, which may need some redesign. I have a rather slight travel tripod, which represented a compromise. The whole system needs further testing.

David Engle (June 07, 2013, 06:18PM )

This GigaPan has an incredible amount of depth ... "deep depth!" I am impressed with all of these recent GigaPans of yours. Next time, you should travel to a civilized area like Paris: www.gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most _popular&query=prs661 and www.gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most _popular&query=parisengle

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 07, 2013, 04:26PM )

Are you using your own rig or one of the Gigapan imagers? A big, heavy tripod and robot like the Pro help keep the vibration down but they have their own problems of course. This why when I go travelling the only things I can take with me apart from my gigapanning gear is a change of T-shirt and a toothbrush (with holes drilled in the handle, of course).

Tom Nelson (June 06, 2013, 10:20PM )

On this trip I discovered how vibration-sensitive my setup is at 300mm. One of these days I must work up the courage to do an HDR pano.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 06, 2013, 03:31PM )

Another nice *big* shot Tom - I really must stop messing about with HDR 360s and get the long lens out again.