David Engle (August 28, 2016, 09:20AM )

I am searching for more info on M. Hugot, but it appears that all I know about him so far is that he lived in Paris, and wore fine clothes, was wealthy enough to help support G. Caillebotte by buying eleven of his portraits, but other than that not much to discover, not even a Wikipedia notation. This interests me so much that I may spend a day researching the gentleman in Fondren Library.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 28, 2016, 06:09AM )

M. Hugot probably had better sense than to wear shoes made from suede or ostrich leather :)

David Engle (August 27, 2016, 06:27PM )

He is wearing some fine black shoes; however, this painting would look far different if he was wearing your orange shoes, or the red leather ostrich shoes with white soles that I wore a few time while in Paris, but gave them up when I tripped on the steps inside Musee d'Orsay ... wonder if that fate ever happened to Paul Hugot?

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 27, 2016, 06:17PM )

It's true I bought some fancy shoes. We can't see Paul's feet - do you think he is wearing orange suede shoes with white soles like the ones I got?

David Engle (August 27, 2016, 06:14PM )

Very much so, maybe not with the Top Hat, that Paul is wearing, and as for the gold chain, you will easily find very expensive watches in the area of Place Vendome versus the electronic kind. Paris is a very special place where people are very comfortable dressing up whereas not so much as the city they travelled from. As I remember, you bought some pretty fancy shoes while we were there and I even wore a sport coat and vest AND a tie to church on Easter Sunday.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 27, 2016, 06:02PM )

Do people still dress that way in Paris? :-)