The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 03, 2011, 08:41PM )

It's a troubling sign of the times, but I guess we have to expect things like this baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/06/01/ mta-officers-detain-man-for-taking-pictures < img src='/images/external_link.png' alt='Will open in a new tab or window' />/

David Engle (August 07, 2009, 10:01AM )

Then people driving their cars would stop, MetroRail trains would stop and the driver would pull down the window and ask what I am doing, police would drive by as they too would be security curious and even ask me to move-on, and homeless people would be attracted to me because of the camera and concern that they may be on the evening news TV program, and for people that did see the sign and wanted to get into the GigaPan, their lives would forever be changed for the better :) ... Taking panoramas either hand-held or with a GigaPan Robot and without a sign can be earth-changing enough; with a sign, the result may be complete chaos.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 06, 2009, 07:06AM )

Why not get make your own sign saying "Gigapanographer at work - do not disturb!"? :-)

David Engle (August 06, 2009, 06:01AM )

Being picked up by Metro Police for taken photos and then taken to the jail house can be a form of being squished. Notice the bayou (water) by the jail in this panorama: www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id= 27163 . The dude yesterday was only doing his job, but my argument is if it is so sensitive an area, where are the signs saying so? Maybe they are this way because of security concerns.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 05, 2009, 05:28PM )

A fair and significant distinction although not one prevalent in the UK. However I think your definition of 'squished' could appropriate depending on the manner in which the train runs one over. However, I do not encourage experimentation to test this hypothesis. (Important health and safety tip.)

David Engle (August 05, 2009, 04:53PM )

The reason for the poor stitching and the different sunlight was (1) trafic was a problem on my first attempt and (2) the next attempt was interupted by a train driver telling me something in a high-pitched voice that I had difficulty understanding and a few moments later, some dude,coming put of nowhere (actually a MetroRail truck) telling me I had to stop immediately or else face the wrath of Houston Metro Police. I stopped immediately, hoping that I could stitch something from two days of phootos to make this 360-degree panorama. I doubt that I was going to get squished by a train; what I was concerned about was getting squashed by one! To me, squished is like squeezing a plastic bottle of a viscous fluid so that it come out, like ketsup. Squashed, on the other hand, is like a egg resting on a flat surface and then having a 2000 ton block of steel falling on it from an altitude of a 1000 meters /- a few feet :)

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (August 05, 2009, 03:29PM )

Good job David. Some social realism - I like it. More like this please. It looks like you were standing in quite a scary place to take this gigapan. I'm glad to see that you didn't trip over or forget where you were and get squished by a tram.