1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar


Tyneham Dorset by Shaun

Want to add this gigapan to your favorites? Log In or Sign Up now.

Log In now to add this Gigapan to a group gallery.

About This Gigapan

Toggle
Taken by
Shaun Shaun
Explore score
1
Size
0.29 Gigapixels
Views
1901
Date added
Sep 12, 2009
Date taken
Sep 12, 2009
Categories
 
Galleries
Competitions
Tags
Description

Tyneham is a ghost village in south Dorset, England, near Lulworth on the Isle of Purbeck. It remains a civil parish. The village is situated near Worbarrow Bay on the Jurassic Coast, and there have been fishing communities associated with the parish since the Iron Age. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Tigeham, meaning "goat enclosure". It is part of the Lulworth Estate.

The village, and 7,500 acres (30 km²) of surrounding heathland and chalk downland around the Purbeck Hills, were commandeered just before Christmas 1943 by the then War Office (now Ministry of Defence) for use as firing ranges for training troops. 252 people were displaced. The last person leaving a notice on the church door:

Please treat the church and houses with care; we have given up our homes where many of us lived for generations to help win the war to keep men free. We shall return one day and thank you for treating the village kindly.

This measure was supposed to be temporary for the duration of World War II, but in 1948 the army placed a compulsory purchase order on the land and it has remained in use for military training ever since. Though littered with scrap used as targets, and subject to regular shelling, the land has become a haven for wildlife as it has been free from farming and development. In 1975, after complaints from tourists and locals, the Ministry of Defence began opening the village and footpaths across the ranges at weekends and throughout August. Many of the village buildings have fallen into disrepair or have been damaged by shelling, and in 1967 the then Ministry of Works pulled down the Elizabethan manor house, though the church remains intact. The church and school house have since been preserved as museums.

In the 1980s the village was used for the filming of Comrades, which tells the story of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. The church had a fibreglass tower and large additional gravestones added and the village's Post Office Row was fronted with fibreglass cottages.


Gigapan Comments (0)

Toggle Minimize gigapan_comment
The GigaPan EPIC Series, Purchase an GigaPan EPIC model and receive GigaPan Stitch complimentary

Where in the World is this GigaPan?

Toggle

Stitcher Notes

ToggleMinimize

GigaPan Stitcher version 0.4.3864 (Windows)
Panorama size: 291 megapixels (41523 x 7011 pixels)
Input images: 42 (14 columns by 3 rows)
Field of view: 105.8 degrees wide by 17.9 degrees high (top=1.8, bottom=-16.1)
Settings:
All default settings
Original image properties:
Camera make: Canon
Camera model: Canon PowerShot G9
Image size: 4000x3000 (12.0 megapixels)
Capture time: 2009-09-12 15:35:02 - 2009-09-12 15:37:53
Aperture: f/4.8
Exposure time: 0.003125
ISO: 80
Focal length (35mm equiv.): 207.7 mm
Digital zoom: off
White balance: Fixed
Exposure mode: Manual
Horizontal overlap: 26.1 to 29.5 percent
Vertical overlap: 33.0 to 39.9 percent
Computer stats: 2046.15 MB RAM, 1 CPUs
Total time 52:10 (1:14 per picture)
Alignment: 9:15, Projection: 4:44, Blending: 38:10

Member Log In