Comments on Gigapan: Government Plaza on April First

1. Eric B.

Eric B. (April 01, 2011, 06:33AM )

Tom, Just got around to seeing your photo! Great!!

Tom Nelson (February 06, 2011, 02:10PM )

Yes Thantelius, I added all the people and weird elements. If you visit the profile pages I flagged, you'll find the gigapanographers' photos I used. I added UFOs, prehistoric animals and other weirdness from various sources. The idea was to make a puzzle for people to explore. Tom

3. ks | Darkroom

ks | Darkroom (February 06, 2011, 03:48AM )

Looks like all the Pros are here! I am new to Gigapanning and i would like to have your feedback on my latest Gigapan of Beirut: gigapan.org/gigapans/67894/Btw the idea of this Gigapan is Unique! Bravo.

4. Andrés Pi

Andrés Pi (February 05, 2011, 08:41PM )

Hi, the flying saucer (OVNI?) reflected on the windows at the top left of the picture, was intentionally added??

Tom Nelson (December 27, 2010, 07:18PM )

You might want to contemplate the date the picture was taken...

6. Frank

Frank (December 27, 2010, 05:06PM )

What was the occasion? How come all those guys are in the same place?

David Engle (June 09, 2010, 08:30AM )

Commander Zxykrwt, I confess ... I must be the one he believes is the self-portrait since it is not intuitively obvious that mine was not Photoshoped as the spaceship may or may not be there.

Tom Nelson (June 09, 2010, 07:03AM )

Curse you, intrusive human! You have found me out. Prepare to die -- your life is not worth a szyzlot! Commander Zxykrw

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (June 08, 2010, 11:16PM )

It has just dawned on me how clever Tom has been in going along with this thread about using Photoshop. I now believe that the astonishing thing about this image is that photoshop was NOT used. Clearly you'd need to be some sort of space alien with fantastic powers to kidnap me and others like Miss Pixie, take us to Minneapolis, get us to pose for your photo, take us home and wipe our memories. What other explanation could there be? Come on "Tom" - or should I say "Commander Zxykrwt" - the game is up. Next time I recommend you *do* use photoshop to at least remove your spaceship!

Tom Nelson (June 08, 2010, 05:00PM )

Hi Greg, I'm trying to figure out what you think is the self-portrait in the center (there is a self-portrait but it's not in the center and no one's found it yet). FWIW I did add grain and change color and saturation on all those images to match the panorama. There's camera motion on some of the pano pictures and I tried to match that as well. The main challenge was using all the profile pictures, with their differing lighting (and tiny size). Tom

11. Greg Sully

Greg Sully (June 08, 2010, 04:15PM )

This is a really good picture. I especially liked the self portrait in the center. I could not be sure that it was photo-shoped in because if it was a window sticker it may look like that. But to be honest, all the bad cut and pasted photo-shop images let it down. It does so remind me of the News of the World 15 years ago and the Weekly world News, but if you want to make the added pictures less noticeable, add noise to the image being added. Adjust the amount so it is less grainy than the background (iccle amount), if you apply the noise then go to edit, look down the pul down menu and you will find Fade... (noise in this case), youll be able to adjust the amount even better to get a near perfect amount. Also add shadows, they can make or break an image. There are truly 3 things in the shot that I am not sure are photo shoped (whilst i am pretty sure though). The flying Saucer in the sky (roswell comment), The face in the window and a large man by the bus facing away from the camera. But aside from these school boy errors. a very well done on your picture. I look forward to your next picture. :)

12. Klaus Maritschnigg

Klaus Maritschnigg (April 15, 2010, 06:57AM )

Tom, excellent job, i like it very much :) klaus

David Engle (April 05, 2010, 02:54PM )

This comment is directed especially to krbristol (due to a previous comment made above): As soon as I can come to Bath to vist Kilgore661 and you, then your wish will be realized and that will be one *special* gigavention :)

David Engle (April 05, 2010, 02:51PM )

In all public forums as what this comment sequence is located in, we should all be encouraging to each other and be up-lifting to one another versus making any comment that could be construed as not one of encouragement or one as not be up-lifting. If someone feels that they do not like what they see, or that they have an over-whelming desire to make a complaint concerning technique, then the GigaPan forum is the place to do that. I take many small-file GigaPans often because I want to pack as much action in them as what I have designed; it is an artistic effort to be different and thereby offer-up new suggestions to all of us on gigapan.org. Fortunately, no one has yet complained and I simply want to say that I appreciate every one of my view counts and every one of my explore score values.

Tom Nelson (April 05, 2010, 10:39AM )

Kilgore has it just right. This is a lighthearted puzzle and an homage to gigapanners I admire, not a great work of art. You could just as well criticize it for stitching errors. Criticizing the formalist elements misses the point. I'm shooting through a structure, and my edges are constrained by the nearby elements. To make it a fair puzzle I had to insert images that the viewer could recognize as false. What better elements than the profile pictures from this site and pieces of the most popular gigapans? The ones I didn't refer to directly are all fantasy subjects that the viewer would know were inserted.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 05, 2010, 08:01AM )

I'm sure you know what you are talking about from the viewpoint of a graphic designer Zefart, but this site is viewed by people who are not graphic designers. My view is that I have absolutely no control over who gets what from my images so I upload more-or-less anything. I learned this because many times I have made a gigapan that I think is rubbish but other people have said "Wow! That's fantastic!". It works the other way too. I think some really popular images are a waste of server space and I am inspired by images I suspect other people think are really dull. What you may not appreciate about Tom's gigapan is that it is a collection of references to many of the movers and shakers involved in the gigapan thing and for those involved the gigapan is a kind of celebration and acknowledgement of the effort we put in to gigapanning.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 05, 2010, 12:31AM )

Logdoggy: LOL! He ought to hire his own models too - what a cheapskate. I reckon he owes me. Tom, let's call it 50 explore points and we'll say no more.

Tom Nelson (April 04, 2010, 10:28PM )

You're only mad because I only put you in once, Bill. Next time I'll give you TWO dinosaurs :-)

19. Bill Alberts

Bill Alberts (April 04, 2010, 07:38PM )

This Gigapan is a travesty! A travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. Only 8 Miss Pixies . We all know you can do better than that Tom. Please next time show us just a little effort.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 04, 2010, 03:06PM )

I agree absolutely Tom. Congratulations on getting to Number 1!