David Engle (May 03, 2011, 06:19AM )

The collection of curated GigaPans, which you provided the link to, does have one photo of the ball coming off the bat [ www.gigapan.org/gigapans/75452/snap shots/209037/ ] and is a very good shot. It was taken at 1/100 sec shutter speed (Note: this frisbee-flight snapshot www.gigapan.org/conversations/17184 0/ was also taken at 1/100 sec ... the flight of a frisbee is *slightly* different than that of a baseball although both are goverened by the same laws of physics). My baseball photos, if they show the ball frozen in flight, are taken usually around 1/5000 sec. The trick is to take these photos and GigaPans in bright sunlight and at f/2.8 or f/3.5 [resulting in small depth of field] to achive fast shutter speeds; that is why you may see baseball photographers using *big* fast lenses at these sporting events.

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (May 03, 2011, 03:21AM )

Good point! The collection is called "Take me to the ball game" but there is not a single ball to be seen. Clearly, someone has dropped the ball there :-)

David Engle (April 27, 2011, 11:29PM )

The GigaPan collection that you mention: I do not see the baseball as I do in this collection: tinyurl.com/ISeetheBall001  or seen in this single photo: www.panoramio.com/photo/51392189&n bsp;Will open in a new tab or window

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 27, 2011, 09:32PM )

Wow - that sounds like everything I could want to know! Also of note is that there is a curated collection of gigapans tinyurl.com/6g9t7jk Will open in
a new tab or window

David Engle (April 27, 2011, 11:41AM )

In one way or another they should: For basics, consider this link that shows the difficulty: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics001&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window For an *very* interesting collection of informative links, this is a *must see*: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics002&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window which one of the links will take you to a very popular site with an incredible amount of information: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics003&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window This link has some neat photos as well as excellent articles: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics004&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window Dr Rod Cross has written an excellent book on the physics of softball and baseball: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics005&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window and here is an article he wrote concerning the bounce of a ball: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics006&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window and if the above does not answer your question, then this link will: tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics007&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window My suggestion to become an expert on the physics of baseball is to buy this very inexpensive book, which is a classic of the field (no pun intended ... well, maybe): tinyurl.com/BaseballPhysics008&nbs p;Will
open in a new tab or window

The Gigapanographer Currently Known as "Kilgore661" (April 27, 2011, 10:45AM )

When the players are watching a 90 mph fastball coming at them, do they consider physics of baseball?

David Engle (April 20, 2011, 06:11PM )

Thanks for the uplifting comment. It seems as if this project will last as long as I last ... I want to take the perfect panorama of a Rice Owls baseball game with each player on the field having an action shot of them and the baseball in play and at the moment, a hand-held panorama although, later I may use a monopod. Note: on the campus of Rice University, due to the international variety of students, it is not unusual to see a cricket match or rugby match as there are open spaces designated as a rugby field [ remember Emily?: www.gigapan.org/gigapans/35842/ ] and a cricket field [ for this panorama, I was standing on the cricket field: www.gigapan.org/gigapans/40036/ ]. Rice rocks ... :)

8. Sydney Gardens Gigapan Group

Sydney Gardens Gigapan Group (April 20, 2011, 04:31PM )

This project of yours is really coming along nicely David. I must work out how to get myself to a cricket match and try something similar myself. I second your recommendation to view this pano in GE.