Comments on Gigapan: Cuckoo Clock

1. Steve Beckelhimer

Steve Beckelhimer (November 27, 2011, 06:01PM )

Since we had a few days of bad weather, I took a few indoor GigaPan images to experiment. I tried some of your ideas with another clock photo. Since the Canon SX-20 has a focus bracketing feature when in manual focus mode, I decided to give it a shot then stack everything with Zerene Stacker software. I appreciate your continued input!

Tom Nelson (November 19, 2011, 05:55PM )

BTW I meant 3x3 test panos, not 9x9.

3. Steve Beckelhimer

Steve Beckelhimer (November 18, 2011, 12:40PM )

Great ideas! I want to experiment some over the Thanksgiving break. Sadly, the SX20 does not have a remote port. If I get some additional shots uploaded I will give you a shout. Thank you so much for your suggestions. Have a wonderful weekend.

Tom Nelson (November 18, 2011, 12:20PM )

Steve, you probably want a longer button-push time, not shorter, unless you use the self-timer. The button-pusher introduces vibration, and a longer time lets it settle down. If your SX20 takes a remote shutter release, an even better idea is to buy the EPIC 100 Remote Port Trigger Cable: <http://gigapan.org/cms/shop/epi c-100>; C heck your camera manual to see if your camera has a remote port. To test out techniques, do a series of 9x9 panos, checking the images after each. There's no need to stitch them, just look at the individual pictures. Tom

5. Steve Beckelhimer

Steve Beckelhimer (November 17, 2011, 05:31AM )

Your suggestions are appreciated. I have disabled IS on the camera as well as several other automatic functions. I have also experimented with moving the button pusher higher so it doesn't depress the button for as long. I think that holding the button down longer resets the focus lock. I changed the button depress time in the GigaPan settings to be a short as I can make it. Since the lighting in the room is poor, my shutter speeds have been pretty long so I have set the time per image to be long. I REALLY like your idea of using a very brief self timer to act as a delay. I will give that a try. The Canon SX20 seems like a great camera but I need to learn how to use it on the Epic 100. I like that there is a manual setting for exposure as well as a manual focus setting. My next attempt is to use the camera's focus bracketing feature. I have a copy of Zerene Stacker so I want to see how that works with GigaPan images before stitching. Any other suggestions are appreciated!!!

Tom Nelson (November 16, 2011, 04:42PM )

Hi Steve, you have vertical motion throughout the image. First, turn OFF any image stabilization; it will fight with the GigaPan's motion. If the button pusher is causing motion, add a small amount of self-timer to the camera. If that doesn't work, add time between pictures to let the GigaPan come to rest before it presses the button. Best of luck! Tom